1854 Braided Hair Cent

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

1854 Braided Hair Cent

Postby LooseChange » Tue May 28, 2013 7:51 pm

I picked this up from a friend of mine and I am just now getting around to posting images. He got it from his dad a few years ago.

I've never graded any coins, but I thought I could post it up here for those with more experience. He said he might be interested in selling it depending on the value. I can easily look up values for him, but grading coins, not so much. Most of the detail is clear and rather deep, minor wear on LIBERTY. Pics are a little blurry because I sized them up, I can use smaller images if it will help.

Shown here:
Braided_Obverse_Trim.JPG
Braided_Obverse_Trim.JPG (55.49 KiB) Viewed 459 times

Braided_Reverse_Trim.JPG
Braided_Reverse_Trim.JPG (51.84 KiB) Viewed 459 times
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Re: 1854 Braided Hair Cent

Postby Country » Tue May 28, 2013 8:43 pm

http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/BraidedCent/Grades

The above link is the online photograde for the Braided Hair Cent. I would grade it as VF20, with corrosion spots on reverse. How much do corrosion spots detract from the price, not sure?

Here's the fmv prices for Large Cents:

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/prices/lrgcnt/pricesgd.shtml
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby oober » Tue May 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Has the coin been cleaned? It looks cleaned. Maybe its just the pics.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby LooseChange » Wed May 29, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks for the links. The coin does not look cleaned when I look through a loupe, I think it might look that way now because I scanned it while it was still in the Air-tite case.

Looking at that photograde page, I'd think VF20 maybe 25, but the minor corrosion is not good.
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby ihavecoins » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:32 pm

The sexy word is "environmental damage"
www.ihavecoins.com
Buying and selling numismatic and bullion
ihavecoins
Penny Pincher Member

Return to USA Numismatics