Not sure what to buy; 2013 Sacagawea

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Not sure what to buy; 2013 Sacagawea

Postby jmaii » Fri May 31, 2013 7:59 pm

I really like the reverse on the 2013 Sacagawea dollar, and want to get a nice one for display. Ideally I would find a high resolution copy of the artwork, get a large size reverse and smaller obverse, and then frame with a quality proof showing the reverse.

While I don't care if the coin is slabbed and graded, I do want a nice looking coin. This will be displayed on the wall without much close inspection, so no need to shell out the big bucks for PF70 over PF69. Looks like most of these coins go for about $15 on ebay as PF69 slabbed.

Any advice on building a display piece such as this?

Edit:
Found the high rez pics and coin info at http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/?action ... ericanCoin
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Not sure what to buy; 2013 Sacagawea

Postby henrysmedford » Fri May 31, 2013 8:21 pm

You might ask the mint were to get it.
Customer Service
Coin Images (202) 354-7241

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Fri May 31, 2013 8:27 pm

You might buy a mint set and you can fill all the 2013 folder holds.http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=10435&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10201

United States Mint uncirculated coins are struck on special presses using greater force than circulating coins, producing a sharp, intricately detailed image. The coins are sealed in blisters and displayed in folders.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jmaii » Fri May 31, 2013 8:37 pm

henrysmedford wrote:You might buy a mint set and you can fill all the 2013 folder holds.http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=10435&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10201

United States Mint uncirculated coins are struck on special presses using greater force than circulating coins, producing a sharp, intricately detailed image. The coins are sealed in blisters and displayed in folders.

Full mint set would be $32, more than the ebay $15 for a single single Sacagawea. I don't want the others, and may have a hard time reselling them unless I pay extra for the silver proofs.
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ZenOps » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:17 am

I've noticed with a lot of these there are quite a few minting issues, espeically with the edge lettering.

Odd wavyness to the outer edge lettering. There are definitely going to be more than a few varieties from what I can tell.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Return to USA Numismatics