BU dime rolls

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

BU dime rolls

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:32 pm

A big part of Canada coin hunting from counter magnets is buying rolls of coin at each branch that can be searched quickly before pulling up to the next branch. Last week, I was given 5 BU rolls of 2013P Roosevelts out of a fresh String box, which I hesitated to crack open.

Only 2 of the rolls had at least one obverse ender...the other 3 showed tails on both ends. I figured since there was no way to conclusively convey to a future buyer what these 3 rolls really were, then it'd be ok to break them out for counting.

My question: is any uncirc bank wrapped roll worth hanging onto if you're the only one who knows for certain what year they are? I don't follow the roll market well enough to know 8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: BU dime rolls

Postby JustINaVW » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:45 pm

I wonder the same thing. I have 5 unc 2013 P nickel rolls I got out of a box. The whole box was 2013 P but I only kept 5. Im sure they will be worth more than face value but who knows...
JustINaVW
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:49 am

This is where it comes in handy having automatic coin rolling equipment. You open up the roll to verify the date and also to verify that no other circ coins got in the middle of the roll (what we call a "dirty roll"). Then you reroll the coins with the machine so you have a H/T configuration. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby scyther » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:This is where it comes in handy having automatic coin rolling equipment. You open up the roll to verify the date and also to verify that no other circ coins got in the middle of the roll (what we call a "dirty roll"). Then you reroll the coins with the machine so you have a H/T configuration. :mrgreen:

Does your coin roller scratch the coins on the end at all? In my experience, end coins always have circular scratches on them. Also, while seemingly solid date rolls of new pennies and nickels (especially nickels) usually have old coins mixed in, dimes don't. Not sure why.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:01 pm

If you sell them in a batch, generally people won't care. You might get a little less if you have the wrong buyer, but generally it won't make much difference.
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Return to USA Numismatics