(WP-Set) delayed-by-packaging-according-to-u-s-mint

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

(WP-Set) delayed-by-packaging-according-to-u-s-mint

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:23 am

All I can say is BS! Although he states, "Some dealers did manage to get their sets graded and on the market very quickly, but lots of others have faced the same delays as individual collectors". So go ahead, ask just one to come forward. My large order just 44 minutes into the window almost didn't make the 30 day window. So from now on I'll try and I'll just flip raw and buy at retail what I want in the 70 version. heck, I only got 1 70 this time anyways.

http://www.coinweek.com/news/the-coin-a ... -u-s-mint/
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: (WP-Set) delayed-by-packaging-according-to-u-s-mint

Postby SoFa » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:31 am

I think what the article and the Mint are saying is a reasonable explanation.

The dealers are getting back a lot of sets from the grading companies right now. For example, Paradise Mint just got theirs this week, and in their newsletter they suggested the market would see a flood of graded coins very soon because other dealers expected to get their coins back as well. And I'm actually seeing a number of dealers with the graded coins back in stock this week.

I happened to get my own coins back from PCGS yesterday. Those were from a Mint order placed at 12:50pm on the first day, and they were submitted just in time for First Strike. So I would conclude that there were a lot of dealer orders that went out 2-3 weeks after shipping started.

As for the dealers who got coins graded and shipped very fast, there is not necessarily any scandal there. There were presumably tens of thousands of coins ordered within the first first minutes, some of them by dealers. It's reasonable that some dealer orders would have been in the first batch shipped.

Silvertowne was one of the first dealers to ship graded coins. I would just assume they beat out the competition on ordering day. Plus, they are in Indiana, the same state as the Mint fulfillment center. They probably got the coins extra fast and then hopped on a plane to get them to NGC and/or PCGS.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Return to USA Numismatics