Are state quarter sets worth anything?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Are state quarter sets worth anything?

Postby scyther » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:07 am

I just found an empty set of state quarter folders. Not sure where I got it. I was thinking of filling it out, but I already have a complete state quarter set and don't really want to tie up $25 in duplicate coins pretty much guaranteed to depreciate until they hit intrinsic value. So I want to sell the set as soon as I finish it. Could I get anything for it?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Are state quarter sets worth anything?

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:23 am

I highly doubt it. Millions and millions of people put together the state quarters sets. The real money was made by the people who sold the folders!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Also a cool word Seigniorage is were the money was made. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seigniorage#Seigniorage_today
From that--
Seigniorage today

The "50 State" series of quarters (25-cent coins) was launched in the U.S. in 1999. The U.S. government planned on a large number of people collecting each new quarter as it rolled out of the U.S. Mint, thus taking the pieces out of circulation[citation needed]. Each set of quarters is worth $14.00 (a complete set includes quarters for all fifty states, the five U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia). Since it costs the Mint about five cents for each 25-cent piece it produces, the government made a profit whenever someone "bought" a coin.[5] The U.S. Treasury estimates that it has earned about US$6.3 billion in seigniorage from the quarters over the course of the entire program.[6]

In some cases, national mints report the amount of seigniorage provided to their respective governments; for example, the Royal Canadian Mint reported that in 2006 it generated $C93 million in seigniorage for the Government of Canada.[7] The U.S. government, the largest beneficiary of seignorage, earned approximately $25 billion annually as of 2000.[8] For coinage only, seigniorage accruing to the U.S. Treasury per dollar issued for the fiscal year 2011 was 45 cents.[9]

Occasionally, central banks have introduced limited quantities of higher-valued banknotes in unusual denominations, with the intention of these notes being collected. The denomination chosen will usually coincide with an anniversary of national significance. However, the potential seigniorage that can be earned from such printings has proven to be limited, since the unusual denomination makes the notes more difficult to circulate and only a relatively small number of people are willing to collect higher-valued notes.

According to some reports, over half of Zimbabwe governmental revenue in 2008 was seigniorage.[10] Zimbabwe has experienced hyperinflation (see Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe), with the annualized rate at about 24,000% in July 2008 (prices doubling every 46 days).[11]
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:20 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I highly doubt it. Millions and millions of people put together the state quarters sets. The real money was made by the people who sold the folders!

OK, thanks. I think I'll just put "perfect" looking coins in there as I find them, and if it never gets complete, so be it. No need to go out of my way to finish it if it's not worth anything. And hey, if the coins are high enough quality by the end, maybe it will be worth something after all.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics