Sick of Commemorative Coins

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Sick of Commemorative Coins

Postby pennysifter » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:19 am

I'm really sick of commemorative coins of the past 10 years. It was cool when the state quarters came out but now the only non-commemorative coins are dimes and halves. I am disappointed that the mint is releasing state monument or whatever coins now. 10 more years of crap coinage. It's hard to tell which will be around longer- US commemorative coins or the US.
pennysifter

Re: Sick of Commemorative Coins

Postby 999Ni » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:53 pm

i agree!
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:00 am

Me too. Look at the smorgasbord of quarters we've had to endure up here in Canada over the last 20 years...

http://www.jandm.com/script/getitem.asp?CID=3&PID=98

The most recent version of the loonie irritates me too. The "Saskatchewan Roughriders" are our rival team in the CFL :)

http://www.jandm.com/script/getitem.asp?CID=3&PID=107
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:05 pm

agreed, I collected the statehood quarters from circulation, then I got the territories but I REFUSE to do it again with these park quarters.
Enough is enough. :x
Last edited by bman on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:32 pm

pennysifter wrote:I'm really sick of commemorative coins of the past 10 years. It was cool when the state quarters came out but now the only non-commemorative coins are dimes and halves. I am disappointed that the mint is releasing state monument or whatever coins now. 10 more years of crap coinage. It's hard to tell which will be around longer- US commemorative coins or the US.

I'm confused, but that is normal these days. ;)

Is the design for the penny and nickel changing this year to something commemorative?
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:50 pm

I have not yet found much of the Nat Park quarters to be out there...
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rob72830 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:52 am

I collect them long enough to make a bag full of change to take to the bank to cash in. The only statehood/territories/parks quarters I have in my collection are a set of silver proofs from 2005 and proof set from 2009 and 3 unc rolls leftover from $25 bags that the mint sold. And the only reason I bought them was to try to find some errors. Of course, wasn't lucky enough to find any. Now I have $30 in quarters that I have debated on to throw in the bag with the pennies and take them all to the bank. As far as I am concerned the clad quarters are junk and will never be worth more than 25 cents. I'll be glad when the quarters return to normal. To bad we couldn't get the mint to redo the quarter and put the Standing Liberty back on there. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:56 pm

When the conversation turns to coin collecting at the bank after picking up pennies I usually get asked if I want any of the "new golden dollar" coins. I politely decline and heave 120 lbs of Cu/Zn out to the car.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Shiny, worthless little, trinkets, to impress the natives.

At least beads were pretty and can be woven into a belt.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby warthog » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:01 pm

Thogey wrote:Shiny, worthless little, trinkets, to impress the natives.

I picked up 30 generic but rather sharp looking 50 state folders for a couple of bucks (total, not each) and have been filling them with nice looking coins I pull out of circulation (well most are filled actually.. just a few spots left). My figuring is to sell the completed collections as flea market/garage sale items some day for maybe $20 - $25 bucks. Silly mark up? sure, but I think to a non-collector they will sell. If I'm wrong I guess I don't really have much $ in it.. so whatever. I can always dump them back into circulation. Same reason I tend to hoard Ike dollars and bicentennials. non-collectors seem to think they are worth considerably more than they really are. Ethically I'd feel bad about taking advantage of a naive buyer - but I'm not really skinning anyone and while not BU, pretty much anything I take the trouble to set aside is a respectable grade.

Aside from that, I do like the silver quarter proof sets as a bullion buy, now that they can be had close to melt.
warthog

Return to USA Numismatics