Hoarding ATB quarters

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Hoarding ATB quarters

Postby scyther » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:40 am

Well, we all know it's a terrible idea to hoard state quarters in the hope that their value will eventually go up, even though, and partially because, a lot of people are doing it. So I assumed it would be a terrible idea for America the Beautiful quarters as well. But the more I look at it... most of these have extremely small mintages (by modern standards). Most of us keep 2009 nickels and dimes if we find them, but a lot of these are rarer than those. I also think they might be more collectible, since I know a lot of people collected state quarters, and they might want to have these too. So do you think these have any potential? Anyone else hoarding them? I just went through a bunch I had been keeping for a while to put the best ones my folder, and I was going to just dump the rest, but maybe I should keep them?

Also, does anyone know why these mintages are so low? It seems like all denominations took a dip in 2009 (pennies less so than the others), but for some reason quarters are just now starting to recover...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Hoarding ATB quarters

Postby inflationhawk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:33 am

Think about all the places we don't use quarters anymore because of payment cards. Vending machines now accept payment cards, parking meters now use payment cards, car washes, etc. the demand just isn't as high. Collector demand is what kept the state quarter mintages so high and there just wasn't the demand for national park quarters. I don't think demand will ever be that high for circulated national park quarters personally.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:59 am

inflationhawk wrote:Think about all the places we don't use quarters anymore because of payment cards. Vending machines now accept payment cards, parking meters now use payment cards, car washes, etc. the demand just isn't as high. Collector demand is what kept the state quarter mintages so high and there just wasn't the demand for national park quarters. I don't think demand will ever be that high for circulated national park quarters personally.

One thing i don't get then is why the increases in penny mintages ?
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby inflationhawk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:36 am

Pennies are usually a one way transaction. They go from business to customer and then customer never/rarely uses them again. Plus most cash transactions have pennies involved due to sales tax being different from location to location.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:57 am

inflationhawk wrote:Think about all the places we don't use quarters anymore because of payment cards. Vending machines now accept payment cards, parking meters now use payment cards, car washes, etc. the demand just isn't as high. Collector demand is what kept the state quarter mintages so high and there just wasn't the demand for national park quarters. I don't think demand will ever be that high for circulated national park quarters personally.

That makes sense, I hadn't thought of that... dimes and nickels aren't used as much for those purposes (let alone pennies) so they haven't decreased the same way. But at the same time, I find it hard to believe that the majority of those state quarters went to collectors. They made hundreds of millions of each. Surely there can't be that much collector demand...
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:05 am

inflationhawk wrote:Pennies are usually a one way transaction. They go from business to customer and then customer never/rarely uses them again. Plus most cash transactions have pennies involved due to sales tax being different from location to location.

That makes sense. And then typically your quarters nickels dimes would get re used since they are more "valuable"

Thanks
TXBullion

Postby scyther » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:51 am

TXBullion wrote:
inflationhawk wrote:Pennies are usually a one way transaction. They go from business to customer and then customer never/rarely uses them again. Plus most cash transactions have pennies involved due to sales tax being different from location to location.

That makes sense. And then typically your quarters nickels dimes would get re used since they are more "valuable"

Thanks

This is what I don't get though... people don't use nickels or dimes either, for the most part. They probably only use quarters for machines. They keep the change in a cup and take it to the bank when it gets full... right? I don't often (ever) see people making a purchase with a whole bunch of coins. So why wouldn't the pennies get "recycled" with the others? They're not worth much, but if you need to cash in some change anyway, wouldn't you take them? Are there people who just sort their change and take the higher-value coins to the bank and put the pennies in the garbage?

It seems like all the change would just stay together.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:39 am

Mintage numbers ATB

http://americathebeautifulquarters.stat ... -mintages/

State Quarters Including DC and Territories mintages

http://www.statequarterguide.com/mintages/
hobo finds

Postby scyther » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:11 pm

hobo finds wrote:Mintage numbers ATB

Thanks, that's more convenient than Wikipedia's lists. Denali and Perry's victory stand out as being relatively high, but there are a lot under 40 million. I think I'll just keep the lower mintage ones in good condition...
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:30 pm

I've been keeping them all since I started finding them. :shh:
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:53 pm

I found a spot free Ft. McHenry tonight. It's a keeper. If a bank sold me an unc roll I'd probably hang onto them.

And you never know when the error people will post the discovery of something that might be in your stash.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby robroy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:56 pm

From the listing of state quarters in scyther's reply I would say that the territorial quarters (2009) are also keeper. Probably the only ones of the state quarters that are worthwhile keeping.

Once in awhile though I my bank does sell me mint wrapped state quarter rolls and was wondering if these had any value in keeping?
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scyther » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:52 pm

robroy wrote:From the listing of state quarters in scyther's reply I would say that the territorial quarters (2009) are also keeper. Probably the only ones of the state quarters that are worthwhile keeping.

Once in awhile though I my bank does sell me mint wrapped state quarter rolls and was wondering if these had any value in keeping?

Do they "sell" you them at face value?
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rob72830 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:41 am

hobo finds wrote:Mintage numbers ATB

Thanks for the link. I have a question though. Does anyone have mintage figures for the circulation quality quarters minted In 2012 at the San Francisco mint? I was wondering since I had bought some of the El Yungue quarters from the mint when they were released. I have not found any figures for these S mints. Thank you!
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:28 pm

Rob72830 wrote:

Thanks for the link. I have a question though. Does anyone have mintage figures for the circulation quality quarters minted In 2012 at the San Francisco mint? I was wondering since I had bought some of the El Yungue quarters from the mint when they were released. I have not found any figures for these S mints. Thank you!

From-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_the_Beautiful_Quarters

As of January 2013 initial United States Mint sales figures indicated that between 1.3 million and 1.6 million of each 2012 design had been struck at the San Francisco mint, close to the announced mintage of 1.4 million for each design. Direct U.S. Mint sale of rolls and bags of uncirculated business strike coins continued with the 2013 American the Beautiful quarter issues, with actual quantities again to be determined by customer orders. Although the mintages of the uncirculated "S" quarters are considerably lower than that of the "P" and "D" mint-marked coins, none are being released into circulation so that the quantities minted will not be reduced by the attrition normally associated with circulating coins (similar to the situation with the Columbian half dollar minted in 1892 and 1893). Consequently, supplies of mint state specimens will remain readily available and the collector value of "S" mint uncirculated quarters probably will be very little more than that for the "P" and "D" uncirculated quarters.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics