Roll of Presidental Dollars

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Roll of Presidental Dollars

Postby Sullysullinburg » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:40 pm

So I went to the bank and the teller told me she had a box of dollar coins. I took a roll and on the outside of the roll it says Abraham Lincoln. So it's a mint roll I think so does that have any value or should I just dump it?
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Re: Roll of Presidental Dollars

Postby Morsecode » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Lincolns and Washingtons are probably the only two that have (or may ever have) the popularity to carry a small premium in the real world of coin collecting. If and when the Obama coin is issued...or, God help us, the Hillary coin...those will also generate some interest. And by real world, I mean outside of ebay.

Having said all of that, I dumped several thousand uncirculated Presidential dollars for face value since 2010. So I guess I'm not a big believer in them.

If I'd had grandkids I might've stashed away a roll of Georges and Abes for them.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 pm

Sounds like you got some they had Tucked away. Personally I would grab a bunch and tuck them away. Always worth face and better the coins than paper.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

I had OK luck selling a few on CraigsList for a slight premium. In the end though, I had a few that just went back to the bank. I couldn't justify having that many sitting there. They just weren't working hard enough to make me money... :)
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Iused to buy rolls of them from the mint when a new one came out. have not done it in a few years. It seemed pointless. the ones i have, i vacume packed and i will keep them... but pretty much worth 25 bucks.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics