$10 Million Gold Hoard might be $30,000 Mint Heist in 1899?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

$10 Million Gold Hoard might be $30,000 Mint Heist in 1899?

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:56 am

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/03/03/go ... e-shocker/

Not sure if serious or just BS......
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: $10 Million Gold Hoard might be $30,000 Mint Heist in 18

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:58 pm

I heard about this. They better hire some good lawyers. It might be quite hard to prove in court considering it is from such a long time ago.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Re: $10 Million Gold Hoard might be $30,000 Mint Heist in 18

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Looks like the historian leveling the connection might not be all in the head it seems:

http://gma.yahoo.com/10m-gold-coin-hoar ... .html?vp=1

“This was someone’s private coin, created by the mint manager or someone with access to the inner workings of the Old Granite Lady (San Francisco Mint),” Trout told the newspaper. “It was likely created in revenge for the assassination of Lincoln the previous year (April 14, 1865). I don’t believe that coin ever left The Mint until the robbery. For it to show up as part of the treasure find links it directly to that inside job at the turn of the century at the San Francisco Mint.”

...wait, whut? I know some of us are Conspiracy Theorists, but this is an idea that sounds kinda stupid in hindsight. Plus some of the established facts don't quite match up. Until I see the complete hoard list and grades, i'll reserve my observations for now.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics