Prez Dollars and State Quarters on the Skids

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Prez Dollars and State Quarters on the Skids

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:23 pm

If you ever had any interest in saving the Prez Dollars and State Quarters (regardless of condition for either), my
personal advice is to either spend them as quickly as possible or take them to you bank and get the FRN equivalent for them.

I have a few saved. Not with any hope of making a profit, mind you, but I just like looking at the design. After reviewing the most recent Coin Dealer Newsletter (March 28, 2014), I think I like them less and will liberate them into the general stream of commerce.

Save for the 2008 Van Buren D at $1.40 bid and a smattering lot $1.30-1.35 range, most are bouncing on the bottom at $1.05-1.10 each. Pretty sad.

Outside of the 2003 Illinois P&D and 2009 Virgin Islands P&D for the quarters, most everything else is at or near face value. Again a majority of the "pride" of the US Mint has no premium above face. Even those with a roll value of $11.00 to 13.25 will unlikely bring less than that or just face value from your LCS.

Message to my fellow hoarders: Save a couple samples of anything you enjoy, but turn loose the rest and use those funds to purchase something tangible.

My LCS sells the quarters (BU) for 75 cents and the Prez $ coins for $1.75. These are never easy transactions, however, as Grandpa Jim and his ilk is very particular about the coins he buys for the grandkids. When these purchases take 15-25 minutes, there's obviously no profit for the shop owner.

Another good idea gone sour. Sure some of the proof and, obviously, silver issues of both are somewhat better, but count me out.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Prez Dollars and State Quarters on the Skids

Postby Rosco » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:45 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:If you ever had any interest in saving the Prez Dollars and State Quarters (regardless of condition for either), my
personal advice is to either spend them as quickly as possible or take them to you bank and get the FRN equivalent for them.

I have a few saved. Not with any hope of making a profit, mind you, but I just like looking at the design. After reviewing the most recent Coin Dealer Newsletter (March 28, 2014), I think I like them less and will liberate them into the general stream of commerce.

Save for the 2008 Van Buren D at $1.40 bid and a smattering lot $1.30-1.35 range, most are bouncing on the bottom at $1.05-1.10 each. Pretty sad.

Outside of the 2003 Illinois P&D and 2009 Virgin Islands P&D for the quarters, most everything else is at or near face value. Again a majority of the "pride" of the US Mint has no premium above face. Even those with a roll value of $11.00 to 13.25 will unlikely bring less than that or just face value from your LCS.

Message to my fellow hoarders: Save a couple samples of anything you enjoy, but turn loose the rest and use those funds to purchase something tangible.

My LCS sells the quarters (BU) for 75 cents and the Prez $ coins for $1.75. These are never easy transactions, however, as Grandpa Jim and his ilk is very particular about the coins he buys for the grandkids. When these purchases take 15-25 minutes, there's obviously no profit for the shop owner.

Another good idea gone sour. Sure some of the proof and, obviously, silver issues of both are somewhat better, but count me out.

:shh: I arrived at the same conclusion as to value but will spend the Quarters for laundry money on Snow bird trips. I think I will ask for $3.00 bid on the clad Proof sets at the next Coin club meeting with an Auction. I did waste a lot of money on the Proof sets, But it did lead to bullion stacking an kept me away from Numismatic Coins :shifty:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:55 am

I agree with you that President dollars will probably never be worth much more than face value. I had never started to collect any coin series before. I thought taking 10 years to complete a series was just way too much. But I thought the President dollar series was kind of a neat series. So I started collecting that one. And wouldn't you know they go and change the rules in the middle of the game. I was getting them for face value at my local bank so I figured I didn't have much to loose even if the value never did go over a dollar. Then about a year ago or about halfway through the series they go and discontinue releasing them to banks and now the only way you can get them is to buy them directly from the mint and pay about $32.00 per roll plus shipping. So just my luck the only series I started collecting and they go and ruin it for me. I WILL NEVER START COLLECTING ANOTHER SERIES EVER AGAIN!!
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:37 am

I'm actually starting to think about collecting the later presidents *IF* the mintage starts going below 3 million or so (like the later Sacagawea)

The early presidents have no appeal to me, they have limited global appeal and even limited US appeal. Just like noone remembers Maximus Flavius, who is really going to know who Grover Cleveland is (probably thinking minor league baseball).

As we start to get into octegenarian "rememberance" territory, Franklin D. Roosevelt might be the first I'd consider collecting - if the mintage was below 3 million or so. Infamous presidents like Nixon would also be on my list.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 am

I have an unopened box of Lincoln s I was thinking of getting rid of. Just sort of sits there not doing too much. Maybe now is the time
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:56 am

What about the NIFC ones, the ones that someone had to pay a little extra to get them from the mint? Any value in them? 2012 - now quarters "S" mint clad and 2012 - now "P" and "D" dollars.
hobo finds

Postby galenrog » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:43 pm

I occasionally pick up bags at the same branches I pick up up nicks, dimes, and halves. I check for errors, circulated proofs, then send them to the dump bank. Never liked them. Never will.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:21 pm

I'm shocked that people pay over face value for Illinois state quarters. As for the presidents, they were always doomed. Why in the world did they think it was a good idea to put the date and mint on the edge of the coin? It looks kind of cool in a way, but you can't see the date if you put it in a folder or album. Dumb idea. I bet more people would collect them if not for that. It might be worth getting the later, lower mintage ones, but I wouldn't count on it.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:47 pm

The sad thing is all the grandparents that purchased these for their grandkids as well as all the younger kids that were drawn in and excited about collecting and being told how they will increase in value....Too many coins were minted for any of them to be worth much over face, period! The slick sales pitches are going to be the death of the hobby when more and more people realize they have been had! :thumbdown:
Copper Catcher

Postby Morsecode » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:40 am

Hauled the last of my State quarters to the coin counter on Tuesday. :thumbup:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby coppernickel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:34 pm

I study the long history of coins. Here are the things I have learned:

1 - Coins generally keep their intrinsic value. Silver, gold and copper coins still have value. Tin, ceramic, glass, lead and steele coins though made for the past millennium are rarely to be found today and have little value/interest.

2- Coins made to be collectible drop in price the fastest. Look around the world for Olympic coins. They originally sell high and their value drops to intrinsic fairly quickly.

3- Coins in short supply become valuable until those who originally wanted one get them, loose interest or die off. The 1970 circulated half is the best example of this. Once worth many times face value, now found in bargain bins.

4- Whatever suites your interest is best. If you like it great.

I have kept an example of the dollars and quarters to give the kids for history fair projects. The biggest surprise the teachers and kids in school is the quarters are NOT silver.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:49 pm

State, Territory and National Park Quarter sites here…

http://www.statequarterguide.com/

http://nationalparkquarters.com/
hobo finds

Return to USA Numismatics