Question about Capitol Coin Sets

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Question about Capitol Coin Sets

Postby robroy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:31 pm

I've seen a couple of Capitol Coin sets that I could be interested in. However, the price that the local shop has them labeled for seems a bit high for set that for all intent and purposes was put together sometime between yesterday and 50 years ago. The shop is asking more than $60 for a 90% half dollar, quarter, and a dime, as well as a nickel and a penny. All coins that are nothing more than circulated coins whose mint marks don't match.

Are these sets really worth that much or is there a fairer price? I've never purchased such a set so I really don't know.
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Question about Capitol Coin Sets

Postby Morsecode » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:47 pm

robroy wrote:The shop is asking more than $60 for a 90% half dollar, quarter, and a dime, as well as a nickel and a penny.

I'm thinking you'll want to stop shopping there. His price is higher than ebay.

Look no further than the classifieds here. Heck, I just sold a pretty 1959 Mint Set on the Monday night auction for 20 bucks.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby robroy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought that this price was high. He was actually a capitol set for 1957, 1959, and 1964. Even if these sets were in OGP I wouldn't have given them a serious thought, but to ask that much after he consulted the gray sheet (or whatever else he may use) seemed a high price for what is a 50 years old circulated set that was put together either yesterday or 40+ years ago.

As I don't often see these sets I thought that I would be well advised to question the price that was quoted.

robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby uthminsta » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:42 am

Did he mean $60 for all three sets?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby robroy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:33 pm

No - he wanted that for just one plus a little more for just under $70 and was saying that the value of the set was more than $80. I don't know what he was checking but I do know that it was some sort of price list that he subscribed to.

robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to USA Numismatics