Nickel plated state quarters, watch out!

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Nickel plated state quarters, watch out!

Postby Thogey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:45 pm

I bought a couple quarters a while back along with a lot containing miscellaneous silver items.
I just kinda edge checked them at the time. Today I pulled some stuff out to sell on e-bay and for some reason the quarters caught my eye.
They just didn't look quite right. I pull out a NEODYMIUM magnet and...whop! They both stuck.
Anyone else encounter this? They are 2010 and 2011 state quarters.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Nickel plated state quarters, watch out!

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:33 pm

From thread-- http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15202&hilit=quarters Read the whole thread.

uthminsta wrote:Alright, here's a state quarter that is puzzling me. I've been looking around for information on it, but I don't yet know what I am looking at. What I do know is THIS COIN DOES NOT HAVE THE BROWN COPPER EDGE "STRIPE." It's hard to describe, but you all know exactly what I mean - the stripe we all look for when we edge sort. IT'S NOT THERE.
This is a P mint, so it's definitely not a silver proof. Doesn't ring like silver either. Sounds exactly like all the other clad quarters. Weighs 5.7 grams, just like all the other clad quarters I have. Not magnetic. My next thought was - could this be plated? It really doesn't look like it is.
Not getting my hopes up, but seriously... what the heck is this?!?!
Image Image
Image Image
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:26 pm

This doesn't seem like the same deal as mine. Aaron's we're not magnetic. The funny thing is mine are not weakly magnetic. They do stick pretty strong. I didn't think a thin plate job would cause that.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:43 pm

What about this-- http://www.bestcoin.com/Plated-Coins.htm as nickel is magnetic.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics