How do I error search???

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

How do I error search???

Postby Sullysullinburg » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:37 pm

It's killing me looking at every coin that I know has error varieties and it's taking forever is there any shortcut or something??

Thanks in advance!!
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Re: How do I error search???

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:09 am

There are much easier ways to make money than with errors. One of the big problems with errors is this... You could find something really exciting and rare. You show it to ten or twenty people and nobody wants it at anything close to a decent price. You could have to hold onto it for years to get even a small portion of what you were expecting.

Of course, there are exceptions to everything. An exception could be as follows. You find a fairly wealthy error collector who loves to buy errors but doesn't want to spend a lot of time looking for them. Work out some kind of deal with this person and hope that he offers a fair price for the tremendous amount of time you have to invest.

Try making contact with a group of VAM collectors. They specialize in silver dollars. Lot's of people don't actively search silver dollars for errors, hence the opportunity to find VAM's. I had a friend who was interested in VAM's, but he lost interest a few years ago, so I don't know whom to check with now.

By the way, don't ask me what VAM stands for. I'll let you look this one up on the Internet yourself.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:39 am

I don't know any shortcut. But, my fav error penny is the '84 double earlobe Abe. Cool when you do find them. I would say best for me was when I could get my children when they were younger to separate by date the ones I wanted to look at. Now they are young teens and say "yea dad, I want to help you separate pennies" as they roll their eyes.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:40 am

Morgans are top shelf and costly with a so little return on VAMs unless they are the beasts. There also are already so many amazing eyes beating every coin at shows and setting at the house hitting the refresh button on eBay.

Stick with Cents. There are some KILLERS in Circ. The task is to know what to look for and what to quickly pass over.

When I say killers I mean $100-20,000 dollar variety coins that pass unnoticed under the general public's nose laying in the "give a penny take a penny" tray at 711. Bulk sorting and patience will yield results.....you just need to know what to look for.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:32 am

There are no short cuts. If it was easy, then everyone would be doing it. If everyone was doing it, then there would be no money in it. You need to buckle down and learn. Read all the books and then practice your craft. Don't be a blabbermouth about your finds.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Return to USA Numismatics