I really liked this article!

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

I really liked this article!

Postby Cerulean » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:15 pm

I do not understand the zeal collectors have over chasing collector-market-only bullion coins. They aren't everyday items, they never circulated, and have no more historic insight than The History Channel. I cannot see the appeal of spending 20% or more on premiums to buy the newest shiniest satin proof bullion coin. If it's silver you want, the same $150 will buy you a sack of junk silver at a coin show, pounds of Ag instead of just one ounce to show for your FRNs. So when I read this article, I could only nod my head in agreement:

http://numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article ... leId=18629

Excerpts:

"With all these new coins vying for our dollars, it is easy to forget that collectors were among the original eccentrics who saved stuff that others freely spent or used up. This was a period when collectors, and only collectors, determined what was worth saving and what was not. We turned common objects – like pocket change – into something special by forming sets that allowed us to interpret history and experience nostalgia.

Nowadays, marketers do this for us. Coins come in special packaging and cost more than face value – even new cents, useful only for paying sales tax, are sold by the Mint at a premium. In this regard, the initial costs determine what is special, as who would spend these glorified cents after paying a premium for them? I fear that the same corporate engineers who want us to buy limited edition boxes of Wheaties with Michael Phelps on the front have hijacked our hobby."

"Buy these hybrid concoctions if you must, but I urge you to set some money aside to start a collection of circulated cents, nickels, and dimes that were actually saved and spent. Perhaps I am being overly nostalgic to want a dime that was used to purchase a root beer float or saved for a red roadster, but I am certain that we are overlooking some of the most beautiful – and durable – coins ever produced. Frankly, I am surprised that we have allowed ourselves to ignore the allure of a coin softened by a thousand fingertips. "
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: I really liked this article!

Postby Dvorak » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:47 am

I'm probably a bigger fan of older circulating coinage, but I get the allure of the new stuff collector-only stuff.

People like pretty, shiny new things. People also like to own "rare" items. It's a "look what I have that you don't" thing. I don't think this is unique to coins.

But once the newness wears off, and something prettier or more rare shows up... The market drops.
Dvorak
Penny Sorter Member

Re: I really liked this article!

Postby Pachucko » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:20 am

I collect some things just because I like them, and because I can. Some people don't understand why I like graded bullion, but then I have no idea why some people like comic books, baseball cards, etc... To each his own.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Return to USA Numismatics