1913 Barber half - check me on this

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

1913 Barber half - check me on this

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:33 pm

I've bought a lot of silver the past 4-6 weeks. Still absorbing it, but when taking stock of halves last night realized I had acquired by accident a 1913 D Barber half, in decent shape. Still a bit of a lip. Still some reeding on edge. Definitely worn, but it weighs 12.1 grams, so still has 97% of mass. Not sure I can take a reasonable photo of it (I may try later), and I'm headed to gym now anyway, but wondered if others than knew these and/or were interested could check me on this. I briefly skimmed PGCS this afternoon and it appeared to tell me that these are rare in any condition. 2000-ish estimate remaining of all grades? Appears to maybe worth hundreds? I set it aside last night because I thought it would be a cool pocket coin, but now I'm thinking it may be worth a bit of something. Comments?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 1913 Barber half - check me on this

Postby Country » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:51 pm

1913 Philadelphia half (No mint mark) is the scarce one. The 1913-D, unless in higher grades, is one of the common ones.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: 1913 Barber half - check me on this

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Country wrote:1913 Philadelphia half (No mint mark) is the scarce one. The 1913-D, unless in higher grades, is one of the common ones.

Ah, yes. Too bad. 4000 estimated vs 2000, and it's not a real clean coin, collector-wise. I don't know squat about coin grading, but from the descriptions below I would put it at F15, no better than VF20, though it doesn't look too bad for its age. From the link, if I'm anywhere close on grade, it might be worth at best 4x-8x spot. For that, I'll just keep it for the coolness...

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/CoinDetail.aspx?s=6528

20-35 VF DETAILS (Very Fine)
Major details of the coin are clear although wear is evident; the high points show moderate wear.

12-15 F DETAILS (Fine)
Moderate wear on many elements with heavy wear on high points. The major design elements remain visible.

8-10 VG DETAILS (Very Good)
Heavy wear flattens design elements, although major features are clearly outlined.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics