Got some semi-sad news today re: our family's coin hobby.

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Got some semi-sad news today re: our family's coin hobby.

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:41 am

Growing up, my grandfather (father's father) was a big coin collector. When he passed, his collection was divided among all of us in the family. My father was also an avid collector when younger, and over the course of time, either sold off his collection, or, passed parts of it down to us. I also had an extended family member through the husband of my sister, with whom I would exchange coins, as he too was a lifelong collector..

I just learned that he had to go into assisted living (he's in his mid 80s), and he apparently sold off his entire coin collection as was needed for bills. Good, bad, or indifferent, this basically means that, my [rather small] collection that I've amassed over 50 years, which is a compendium of my own findings, plus those that were passed down to me from said members, is now all that remains of the "family" coin collection. :( That is a bit of a shocker for me, as coin collecting has been around me my whole life, and now, it seems I'm the last man standing. :(
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Got some semi-sad news today re: our family's coin hobby

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:44 am

I remember you inquiring about life insurance here previously which likely means you have a spousal unit and children. Encourage them to pick up the "hobby." (It's really a lifeline to financial security given the corruption in the system.) You don't have to be the last.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Got some semi-sad news today re: our family's coin hobby

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:47 am

Yeah, thankfully some of them are into it. Wife just wants to know where I keep the gold gram bars (kidding).
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics