Grade me?--new coinS added

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Grade me?--new coinS added

Postby Oakair » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:30 pm

New coin added
Last edited by Oakair on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Grade me?

Postby dan53 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:03 pm

I would say around VF-25. It looks as if it may have been cleaned at some point in the distant past. I could be wrong.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Oakair » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:10 pm

dan53 wrote:I would say around VF-25. It looks as if it may have been cleaned at some point in the distant past. I could be wrong.

Ya, the scan came out kinda flat...It very well may have been cleaned, but it has more natural color in hand...Im no grader by any means though...

Thanks for the input!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Solid VF35

As dan said....may have an old cleaning.....but it is attractive.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Oakair » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:32 pm

New coin:

Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Grade me?--new coin added

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:40 pm

oh thats nice......Looks MS 64+ from the scan.

Good grab.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Oakair » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:59 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:oh thats nice......Looks MS 64+ from the scan.

Good grab.

Sweet!

Ive got about 8 MS-60-61 morgans Ill throw up on here soon, maybe some of them will grade a bit higher...and 6 MS-60 with some great toning in some sort of set from littleton...

Overall, very good haul :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oakair » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:42 pm

Some of them have been represented horribly by the scanner...I think its because they propped the top up and let light in...they all have great luster in hand
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Grade me?--new coinS added

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:40 pm

I don't work for PCGS or NGC, but the obverse finger print (on Lady Liberty's neck) would tell me this coin has been lightly circulated or mishandled by the person who put it in the 2 X 2 to be sold. Since that person labeled the coin a 1921 and it's actually a 1923, this character is the likely perp. My grade would be AU-55. Also, I'm curious about the tarnish, toning or crud that's apparent on the right side of the coin. Not sure what that might be. If you bought the coin for the listed price of $18, you're in the money anyway regardless of all the above comments.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Fingerprints are not considered wear......they do not drop coins in grade. Don't shoot the messenger......I don't make the rules.....I just follow them.

Example (top pop btw):

Also, I would bet a $20 to a donut that fingerprint is on the cellophane exterior.....not the coin.

Nice set of Morgans. Thanks for posting.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby PennyBoy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:57 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Fingerprints are not considered wear......they do not drop coins in grade. Don't shoot the messenger......I don't make the rules.....I just follow them.

Example (top pop btw):

Also, I would bet a $20 to a donut that fingerprint is on the cellophane exterior.....not the coin.

What kinda donut we talkin'?
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Oakair » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:I don't work for PCGS or NGC, but the obverse finger print (on Lady Liberty's neck) would tell me this coin has been lightly circulated or mishandled by the person who put it in the 2 X 2 to be sold. Since that person labeled the coin a 1921 and it's actually a 1923, this character is the likely perp. My grade would be AU-55. Also, I'm curious about the tarnish, toning or crud that's apparent on the right side of the coin. Not sure what that might be. If you bought the coin for the listed price of $18, you're in the money anyway regardless of all the above comments.

Haha...That 2x2 was from an old morgan (i knew someone would say something :lol: ...And the print was on the cellophane (its since been transferred to an airtight and has never been touched without gloves)

And its definitely toning...Ill take some nicer pictures of the lot now that I have my camera once I have some free time...
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rakattack » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:54 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Fingerprints are not considered wear......they do not drop coins in grade. Don't shoot the messenger......I don't make the rules.....I just follow them.

Example (top pop btw):

They do drop value and grade. It's considered a negative attribute for a coin to have.

Yes, TPGs will grade lower for fingerprints of all shapes and sizes.

The Peace$ looks polished or cleaned IMO
rakattack
Penny Pincher Member

Return to USA Numismatics