Laffayette silver dollars

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Laffayette silver dollars

Postby Treetop » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:33 pm

I have been thinking about finishing my silver dollar set. i only need three more, anyway it has been on my mind..... In 1900 the lafayette dollar was minted. One of the earliest commemorative coins I believe.

anyway I had called an old friend from back in ohio over the weekend and he wasnt home. He just called me an hour ago.... Asked me what i was doing. I was searching these dollars. Reading about them and the like....

so heres the story.... Brace yourself numi's.... He tells me that his grandpa had a friend that worked or owned a coin shop back during the big melt. He also had saved many bags of 90% out of circulation so his friend tok a few in the form of silver and traded out his silver for all numi stuff....

who knows exactly what was there because they just sold it ALL as "junk" silver.... :shock: he said there were "perfect" rolls of every type of coin, lots of mercs, perfect rolls of standing liberty quarters and barbers. he called them shiny and perfect....

He said there were TONS (his words) of full bags of morgans and peace dollars looking like they were minted yesterday.... Included atleast 100 "perfect" looking lafayette dollars.... One of these in MS condition is many thousands by itself let alone the other numi treasures that must of been in this horde....

Wost part? he said if I had called him about two months ago when they sold this stuff, he would of sold it to me AT MELT. :? my stomach hurts...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Laffayette silver dollars

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:51 pm

Ouch...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Your telling me... I still feel sick. He probably had a few hundred thousand worth of stuff based on what he said. the condition of those coins, if there were some key dates beyond the dollars i happened to be interested in which can be several thousand themselves.... he could of been set up for a long time... well if FRNs remain valuable or he invested in real estate or something else thats solid.... who knows why he sold it anyway.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Treetop wrote:I have been thinking about finishing my silver dollar set. i only need three more, anyway it has been on my mind..... In 1900 the lafayette dollar was minted. One of the earliest commemorative coins I believe.

anyway I had called an old friend from back in ohio over the weekend and he wasnt home. He just called me an hour ago.... Asked me what i was doing. I was searching these dollars. Reading about them and the like....

so heres the story.... Brace yourself numi's.... He tells me that his grandpa had a friend that worked or owned a coin shop back during the big melt. He also had saved many bags of 90% out of circulation so his friend tok a few in the form of silver and traded out his silver for all numi stuff....

who knows exactly what was there because they just sold it ALL as "junk" silver.... :shock: he said there were "perfect" rolls of every type of coin, lots of mercs, perfect rolls of standing liberty quarters and barbers. he called them shiny and perfect....

He said there were TONS (his words) of full bags of morgans and peace dollars looking like they were minted yesterday.... Included atleast 100 "perfect" looking lafayette dollars.... One of these in MS condition is many thousands by itself let alone the other numi treasures that must of been in this horde....

Wost part? he said if I had called him about two months ago when they sold this stuff, he would of sold it to me AT MELT. :? my stomach hurts...

What 3 do you need?
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:33 pm

This is a good story. Having been through the great 1980 silver melt, I do agree that many, many rolls of BU silver coins took a quick trip to the smelter without much of a second look by the buyers. It was heartbreaking to see BU Walkers, Mercuries and Standing Liberty Quarters (plus the Morgans and Peace dollars) bagged and shipped in less than 24 hours as the buyers had too much money tied up to be big-time speculators. They needed to turn around bullion very fast to have cash for the following day to purchase more.

The Lafayette dollar part? I'm skeptical...especially in that quantity. The dollars would have been hand counted (not being able to go through a coin counter) and a quantity of that size would've been noticed by someone in charge of the buying. Even an untrained counter person took them in, they would likely have questioned the shop owner whether the Lafayettes were actually US coins.

Interesting to think about regardless. In many hobbies, there are the ones that "got away." Whether it's Lafayettes, giant fish, antiques, a former girlfriend who promised undying love or that car you could've bought that's now a classic, my card has been punched many times in those departments.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Know Common Cents wrote: Even an untrained counter person took them in, they would likely have questioned the shop owner whether the Lafayettes were actually US coins.

Im not real sure. my friend clearly didnt know a ton about it, but I described it and thats what he said....

His grandpas friend would of known they were worth saving, and hard to say who would of decided to save them to begin with.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics