What the worth of S mint Memorial cents?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

What the worth of S mint Memorial cents?

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:37 am

Franklin is now pulling all the S mint Memorial out of the saved CU we have about $2500 FV of CU 1959-1982 US cents and so far he is finding about $5 FV per $500. When he gets done I want to sell them to help with his saving for a 1909-S VDB. Any thought on selling them. By roll, by the lot , best price over fixed price?
Thanks Joe
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: What the worth of S mint Memorial cents?

Postby rainsonme » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:05 am

Well, when the intellegent people on this board don't respond, you get guys like me.

I consider what I would do with any pile of coins. If I can't imagine how I would sell them at enough profit to make it worth my while, I try not to separate.

When I sort pennies, I put them into these categories:
wheat-backs, separated by date. I am not sure this is really worth while separating ---- can I really sell a roll of 1958-D for more than the copper value?
1960's in good condition into another box.
1959s in good ocndition into another box.
Any pre-1982 that looks to me like an AU goes into another box
All other pre-1982 memorial cents goes into a bag as a unit of copper that I expect to be worth much more than 1 cent in 10 years. Maybe not in 2 years, but I expect within 10 years.

I don't think I could sell S-memorials for more than their coppper value. If you think you can, then by all means, keep them in a separate box. I'm not sure how I dispose of my 1960's and my "AU" memorials. I don't want any more boxes that I don't know how I will sell.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Whinstone » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Yes, I would keep all the 1970 S because they come in small and large dates. Small dates are hard to find and can bring a nice price tag. The 1960 and 1960D come in small and large dates but not as nice of a price
Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you. You will only double trouble and trouble others too.........anonymous
Whinstone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:59 pm

I'd throw 1500 of them up for auction...start it at $30 + shipping.

See what happens.

If you have no takers then I guess just keep doing what you're doing.

If I had 1500 of them "s" mints, I already would have already tried to auction them.

You got nothing to lose...or you can try feebay...!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics