Are recent PR70 coins a good investment?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Are recent PR70 coins a good investment?

Postby aaa30040 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:45 am

What do the population reports look like for recent years MS70 and PR70 coins? Will they turn out to be good investments or are there just so so many of them?
buying wheat pennies at $0.03 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
buying copper pennies at $0.014 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Are recent PR70 coins a good investment?

Postby barrytrot » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:53 am

PR70/MS70 coins are not a good investment.

The majority go down in value over time.

Very few go up.

It's not that there are "so many of them", it is that the number of them WILL INCREASE over time. Not every coin has been graded. And the mint did a pretty good job in the last 10 or so years, so many of the ungraded coins will turn out to be "70" also.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:01 am

Wise words Barry. 100% spot on.

I will also add that grading standards continue to soften as time progresses. Not sure how this plays out for the 70 coins.......either its perfect or it isn't......right?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby dan53 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Barrytrot wrote:

"It's not that there are "so many of them", it is that the number of them WILL INCREASE over time. Not every coin has been graded. And the mint did a pretty good job in the last 10 or so years, so many of the ungraded coins will turn out to be "70" also."

While I don't think PR70 coins such as ASE's, are a good investment, I don't understand where the undiscovered 70's are lurking. I mean, ASE's and Commemoratives are slabbed as PR70's or MS-70 when they are made....right? Here, I am disregarding standard new coinage such as pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters, since they are not seen as collectibles.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:48 pm

dan53 wrote:Barrytrot wrote:

"It's not that there are "so many of them", it is that the number of them WILL INCREASE over time. Not every coin has been graded. And the mint did a pretty good job in the last 10 or so years, so many of the ungraded coins will turn out to be "70" also."

While I don't think PR70 coins such as ASE's, are a good investment, I don't understand where the undiscovered 70's are lurking. I mean, ASE's and Commemoratives are slabbed as PR70's or MS-70 when they are made....right? Here, I am disregarding standard new coinage such as pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters, since they are not seen as collectibles.

They are lurking still contained in the original Government packaging.

Most coins are NOT certified. And in the case of moderns, many of the uncertified are "70" status.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby exbingoaddict » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:15 am

The collectors looking for the 70s are registry set builders. There's not a big market for them. The way to make money in the recent 70 grades are flipping them quickly to those registry types.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby bman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 pm

I have no interest in modern MS70 coins, give me a well circulated classic coin any day!!! ;)
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:46 am

I dont care to much about grades... but I will pick up a pr70 whenever I have to the chance to get it within $5-10 of a regular BU piece. Then I really like them :)
H2SO4
Penny Pincher Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 am

NO!!! Don't do it. With the number of coins out there for recent issues, there are bound to be MANY 70s. IF the price starts to creep up at all, it would be temporary and more people would submit theirs for grading, bringing supply in line with demand. It's a suckers game and bound to lose you money.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby louisianagold » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:16 pm

barrytrot wrote:PR70/MS70 coins are not a good investment.

The majority go down in value over time.

Very few go up.

It's not that there are "so many of them", it is that the number of them WILL INCREASE over time. Not every coin has been graded. And the mint did a pretty good job in the last 10 or so years, so many of the ungraded coins will turn out to be "70" also.

Agree. Nicely worded.
louisianagold
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:33 pm

All above comments are spot on. MS70 coins are a TV huckster's dream coin. They can herald the perfection angle and entice potential buyers into thinking they'll be the owners of something rare and unusual.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics