1871 Quarter grade question

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

1871 Quarter grade question

Postby Ireland_925 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 pm

I bought a lot of foreign coins years ago at auction and in it was a key date 1871 canadian quarter. My concern is that there is a clear worn spot in the reverse of the coin that "blots out" (my words) the lower part of the "25" and the upper part of the "ent" in cents. I'm just wondering if there is some reason that this would occur. Would this be a cleaning issue, which I'm no expert but it may have been, or an issue with the structure of the coin itself? Thanks for any help.
Ireland_925

Re: 1871 Quarter grade question

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:41 am

Hi there,

I am no expert but a picture would certainly help, those that are experts. However, from what you mention, it could be a case where that coin was found by a metal detector and therefore was buried for an extended period of time. The removal of concretions while cleaning the coin could have caused what you described.

Cheer,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Canada Numismatics