Country boy needs Canadian advice.

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Country boy needs Canadian advice.

Postby 0000PaleHorse0000 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 am

My Canadian Numi friends,

I am a mere greenhorn in USA Numismatics and coins in general. Accordingly, I'm just a country boy in the US, and I am acquiring coins from all over the world, including many Canadian coins from my father, who is a long time ( 50+ years and counting!), coin collector who gave me the coin bug, including a very small fraction of his collection. I have truly come to appreciate Canadian currency and decided that I would like to diversify my palate and begin investing in some new coins, especially commemorative Canadians.

I'm not one to step into things I know little about, but decided to be adventurous and recently purchased some 2011 Canadian "Canoe" commemorative coins @ $31.00 USD, including shipping. I've been kinda back and forth on the coin and was wanting some advice about post purchase. I absolutely love the coin and the design, especially the meaning behind the art and design. I also love the fact that Canada was the first to do the "$20 for $20" trade off and the fact that it's incorporating PMs in currency. My main concern was the fact that I spent $31.00 on approx $8-9 of silver. I understand that numismatics vs. bullion investing are two different animals. The only thing I've been considering right now is the whole love of coins vs. practical investment inner battle. I guess really I'm wanting to know if it would have been better to have taken my $101 USD and invested them in different Canadians or not. The other issue I don't know is how popular they really are. I know they sold out in 29 days (or something like that), but overall, I just really want to hear some feedback from RC about this coin, especially those who specialize in Canadian Coins. Should I just hold on to them and enjoy the ride or just turn around and sell most of them to get something different ( While keeping one canoe of course!).

Thanks y'all!
"I looked, and there was a pale horse! Its rider's name was Death, and Hades followed him."
0000PaleHorse0000

Re: Country boy needs Canadian advice.

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:39 pm

I like the canoe coin but would not pay more than $20 for it. I bought 16 of them but I missed out on the new polar bear coins.

It is all up to you. Im mostly into PMs and not commemorative coins
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:46 pm

I am no in it to make a quick profit, but since I am not a millionaire, I like to keep what I invest in coins and PMs as ''liquid'' as I can in case I need it in a hurry. Numismatics have also a ''liquid'' side but only for the very high quality (or rarity point). For example buying a 1921 silver half dollar for $50,000, you could probably off-load it pretty quickly a year later for a profit. More traditionnal commemorative will have to wait.

Cheers
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 0000PaleHorse0000 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks guys. I've been so entranced by the Canadian Commemoratives that I really needed someone to knock some sense into me before I start going hog wild. I guess I'll just start looking at them like sugar, and use it sparingly :D
"I looked, and there was a pale horse! Its rider's name was Death, and Hades followed him."
0000PaleHorse0000

Return to Canada Numismatics