Acetone on Nickel - Is it OK?

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Acetone on Nickel - Is it OK?

Postby NHsorter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:54 am

I found a 1946 6/6 nickel last night. Is Acetone safe on .999Ni like it is on Bronze? This nickel looks pretty good expect for some spots with sticky black stuff crammed into a few crevices. Probably bong resin. :roll: I just want to see if anyone has dipped Ni in Acetone and if the result would be a good clean coin, or if I would ruin it. I was thinking of putting it on eBay, so maybe I should just polish the crap out of it instead :lol:
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Acetone on Nickel - Is it OK?

Postby merchoarder » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Not really sure but you could always try it out on some non numi nickles and see how it works.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Sure is.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks Rode and Merch. I will give it a try on a common first before I dunk the 6/6
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Canada Numismatics