whats a fair trade for pre 82 can nickels for silver

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

whats a fair trade for pre 82 can nickels for silver

Postby nero12345 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:14 pm

ok i'm tryin to unload some of my pre 82 nickels and maybe some pre 97' pennies for some silver but can't figure out a good ratio, if there is one. Also,obviously there different shipping weights, does that factor into the trade or not?
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Re: whats a fair trade for pre 82 can nickels for silver

Postby barrytrot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Generally "spot for spot" is a good starting point. That means just check "coinflation" and each of you gives an equal dollar value.

Shipping is the responsibility of each party. And will be roughly the same in the US anyway due to flat rate shipping.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:04 pm

spot for spot might work for nickel but not copper. Im not saying dont try though. I would think it would be close to copper spot X .6 for silver spot. That would be based on the going rate for copper pennies compared to the going rate for "junk" silver. Shipping costs would factor in but you could always make a deal of splitting the shipping 50 / 50.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Verbane » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:10 am

I believe Nero is one our Canadian brothers.

Frugalcanuck's suggested rates are good, maybe slightly higher for CA copper selling to us americans. Your biggest market for CA nickels and copper pennies will be the US members, problem is International shipping is going to be expensive. If you have a trip planned to the US, shipping US flat rate would be good.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby nero12345 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:00 pm

yes i'm from nova scotia and shipping cost is a real killer. i have an abundence of copper and nickel, if it is possible to have too much, but would like to get a bit of silver if not only to diversify. I work in the alberta oilfields for 4 months of the year as a millwright and am off the rest enjoying life and sorting with my daughter. there's is a fella selling silver and gold in new brunswick but at spot or higher. thinking maybe trading in nickel might be the way to go. i do go to the nascar race in new hampshire in sept maybe i'll try to line up some sales for then. its about an 8 hour drive to maine so i'd have to make it worth my while. also what would the border guard say if they searched my car and found all that coin, i wonder. spot for spot then with a 50-50 spit in shipping. i'll give it a try thanks guys.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasTT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 pm

I was speaking to a friend earlier this week who did a large trade using the ratio of 10 pounds of copper per 1 ounce of silver. Sounds like a fair ratio to me.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby nero12345 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:52 pm

thanks fellas
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Return to Canada Numismatics