The Ultimate Silver Bug!

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

The Ultimate Silver Bug!

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:49 pm

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 18, 2012) - Sprott Physical Silver Trust (the "Trust") (TSX: PHS.U)(NYSE: PSLV), a trust created to invest and hold substantially all of its assets in physical silver bullion and managed by Sprott Asset Management LP, announced today that it has priced its follow-on offering of 23,000,000 transferable, redeemable units of the Trust ("Units") at a price of US$13.20 per Unit (the "Offering"). As part of the Offering, the Trust has granted the underwriters an over-allotment option to purchase up to 3,450,000 additional Units. The gross proceeds from the Offering will be US$303,600,000 (US$349,140,000 if the underwriters exercise in full the over-allotment option).

http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+Rele ... 89371.html

Seeing all this unfold I have to wonder out loud: With all this physical silver being purchased and taken out of the market, at what point will the price actually reflect the real value of silver? That, my friend, is the billion dollar question....

We wait and see.... 8-)
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: The Ultimate Silver Bug!

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:59 pm

I noted this in my little market thread, without the quote and link though, so thanks for that. I made a few comments on it, the gist of which is that this explains in part both why the PSLV premium rose last week, as well as what happened to it today when the offering came out at 13.20. This is just the first 20% of his pending offerings, about 10,000,000 oz at current prices. Silver spot is clearly up today as a result. I think we will see some serious silver action in the coming months because of this and the following offerings, not including any other effects.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 pm

68Camaro wrote:I noted this in my little market thread, without the quote and link though, so thanks for that. I made a few comments on it, the gist of which is that this explains in part both why the PSLV premium rose last week, as well as what happened to it today when the offering came out at 13.20. This is just the first 20% of his pending offerings, about 10,000,000 oz at current prices. Silver spot is clearly up today as a result. I think we will see some serious silver action in the coming months because of this and the following offerings, not including any other effects.

So how does this work? He hasn't actually bought the silver yet, but will do so in increments as share purchases require?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Haven't read the fine print, but that's what I presume. I don't know if the plan requires that they buy within a certain time frame of accepting the cash, or if they have a max cash reserve, etc. Presume there are some rules like that. He will be dollar cost averaging... ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions