Keystone XL - Obama's an Idiot

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Keystone XL - Obama's an Idiot

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:30 am

Obama's failure to approve Keystone XL is really dumb. A few reasons:

- Jobs. Thousands of fantastic, privately funded construction jobs. Many more spin off jobs too.
- Energy Security. The US spends billions on wars and projecting military power to ensure access to oil from the Middle East, North Africa and South America. Canada is a nice secure source of energy. Canadians don't bite and we'll keep selling oil as long as the Americans want to buy.
- Cheap Transport. Pipelines are the super cheap way to move oil. No ships, no crew, no trucks, no drivers.
- Really Safe. It is low environmental impact and very safe to use pipelines compared to every other way to move oil. I've got an oil/gas pipeline through my backyard and another being laid right now, I've never worried about safety. Sure we have instructions to follow if there is a leak, but much safer than a ship that can run aground or a truck that can crash.

There are lots more reasons to support Keystone XL - and Obama should be voted out of office for the pure stupidity of opposing this pipeline.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Re: Keystone XL - Obama's an Idiot

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:15 am

Yes, was there any doubt before this? I would like to say that he is brilliantly evil, but sometimes he is just stupid.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:42 am

It meets a plan he has for total transformation of America.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Beau » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:17 pm

NWO

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:22 pm

+1 all posts except I prefer to believe evil to idiot
fb101

Postby Engineer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:14 am

fb101 wrote:+1 all posts except I prefer to believe evil to idiot

+100

I've known a number of truly evil CEOs over the years, and all of them were very adept at playing the idiot card with a supporting cast of VPs who were very proficient at bending the facts to fit the company's purpose. TPTB want to hear the official spin from their lackeys. They DO NOT want to hear the truth.

Unfortunately for my career, I have a character defect which causes me to occasionally point out that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes...
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:59 am

The backup plan is to build a pipeline from Alberta to the Pacific Ocean in Northern BC. We;ll just ship all that Canadian oil to China because they will buy everything Canada can get to a supertanker.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:43 am

JadeDragon wrote:The backup plan is to build a pipeline from Alberta to the Pacific Ocean in Northern BC. We;ll just ship all that Canadian oil to China because they will buy everything Canada can get to a supertanker.

Bloomberg is confirming that. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-1 ... eline.html

Oh Dear God! Please forgive us for the utter lunatics we allow to vote in our country!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:46 am

Engineer wrote:
fb101 wrote:+1 all posts except I prefer to believe evil to idiot

+100

Unfortunately for my career, I have a character defect which causes me to occasionally point out that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes...

+100

Engineer, if you have not already done so, go into business for yourself. You will love it!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Engineer, if you have not already done so, go into business for yourself. You will love it!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Back to the pipeline though...the pipeline would help to give us a steady supply of oil which would make it harder to blow up commodity bubbles. Considering that our present economy is built on bubbles and the fact that the president WANTS energy costs to skyrocket, it is understandable why he would shoot it down. I don't like it, but that's at least a plausible explanation for his actions.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm

He's probably gotten a lot of pressure from the Saudi's to nix it so we can continue to send our wealth to them. It seems they have been calling the shots for quite a while now.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:27 pm

But it's too easy to pay the majority poor for their vote than it is to win the support of the minority leaders
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:57 pm

tough issue all the way around

this helping with energy security for the u.s. is one of the arguments for that is hard to prove

canada doesnt produce enough now to fill existing pipelines...

keystone 1, which is in place now, delivers to the refineries in the central u.s.

that product is used in the u.s.

keystone xl would deliver all the way to the gulf coast

some of these refineries happen to be in foreign trade zones...

do some research on valero energy, one of the largest prospective purchasers of xl delivered product

what we need is to reduce our dependence on oil - be it from the middle east, s. america, or our friendly neighbors to the north
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:37 am

Why should Obama be allowed to obstruct commerce?
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:56 am

Isn't Valero Oil owned by Venezuela, and Hugo Chavez it's prez??! North American oil should stay on North American soil. It is ridiculous for it to go anywhere else. Of course, I am only thinking about the economics of the situation.

Let China buy Iranian and Iraqi oil (it's closer to them. Less cost in shipping.) It sounds like they have edged us out of Brazil's oil.

Nigeria is becoming more chaotic every day. We need to find a new supply to replace them. Canada is a natural for that.

Why can't we build refineries in North Dakota?? There is a huge oil field there and we can also refine all the Canadian oil shipped to us. We will consume every drop the North American continent can produce. This is such an easy economic situation to consider.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:32 am

Citgo is owned by Venzuela, and Valero(formerly Diamond Shamrock) is a refining company. They probably buy oil at lowest cost they can from whomever.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dakota1955 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:59 am

This pipeline would help to get oil out from North Dakota. Now it will be shipped by rail. Big loss and added cost to that oil.
dakota1955

Postby Tourney64 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:10 pm

More risky and potential for envirnmental damage.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Yeah, but think of the advantages of continuing to have manufactured Crises we need Obamanians to solve.
fb101

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:05 pm

fb101 wrote:Yeah, but think of the advantages of continuing to have manufactured Crises we need Obamanians to solve.

??!! LOL! I had not heard that one before. How about Obamaniacs?
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:09 pm

How many environmental disasters has the Alaskan Pipeline had? It is in an even harsher environment and was started in the early '70's. Our technology has vastly improved by now. Surely there is less risk on the Keystone than the Alaskan.

I guess it's really all moot now. China and the rest of Asia will benefit from Obama's folly. Can't say I blame the Canadians for "diversifying".
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions