70% haircut on Greek debt. Is it a default?-Better listen up

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

70% haircut on Greek debt. Is it a default?-Better listen up

Postby Z00 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:17 pm

“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 70% haircut on Greek debt. Is it a default?-Better liste

Postby mbailey1234 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:41 am

Don't know why I did this exactly, maybe boredom or maybe I had a little to much Jack in my Coke tonight? :oops: but I have been wondering at what point they would classify the situation in Greece as a DEFAULT. After watching the video link posted above, it may be a little more clear now. So I thought what the hell, and just emailed four different ISDA offices and asked the question.

Probably won't get anything from it but who knows??

If someone owed me money and I was considering knocking off up to 70% of their debt, I would sure call it a default!

I sure wish he would have said the names of the 5 banks involved in the video.

If it's just Greece, is it really going to sting that bad here in the US? 11 million people is a pretty small country. I don't doubt there are more to come but I have a hard time believing that Greece alone will topple everything.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 70% haircut on Greek debt. Is it a default?-Better liste

Postby Z00 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:20 am

Well it wont be an official anything until the bonds come due in mid March. They have til then to decide what to call it.

EDIT:
Pick 5

Rank Name Headquarters Deposits (billions)
1 JP Morgan Chase & Co. New York, NY $1,009
2 Bank of America Charlotte, NC $884
3 Wells Fargo San Francisco, CA $785
4 Citigroup New York, NY $774
5 PNC Financial Services Group Pittsburgh, PA $193
6 HSBC Holdings London $161
7 Bank of New York Mellon New York, NY $160
8 U.S. Bancorp Minneapolis, MN $159
9 SunTrust Bank Atlanta, GA $113
10 State Street Corp. Boston, MA $112

I go with 1 2 4 6 8
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions