"Ben Bernanke Schools Ron Paul"

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

"Ben Bernanke Schools Ron Paul"

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:46 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/bernanke-schools- ... 29565.html

I love the title to this piece. :roll: Ben Bernanke arguing against a gold standard is like a bank robber arguing against security systems. I know that a gold standard isn't perfect, but I would far rather have my money backed by gold than backed by the word of the biggest debtor nation in the history of the world.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: "Ben Bernanke Schools Ron Paul"

Postby DRP270 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:12 pm

This is a two sided story. The gold standard restricts the money supply but that restriction reduces capital available for loans and the expansion of business/jobs. The gold standard protects the value of your savings but the fiat system allows for increased opportunities to earn but at the cost of lost value in savings unless you take greater risk in investments. This is not easy and a good place to start is to understand the Crime of 1873 and then do not miss William Jennings Bryan's speech on the Cross of Gold. Again, a two sided story. Links below but many links for both of these.

http://www.micheloud.com/FXM/MH/crime/crime.htm

http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5354/
DRP270
Penny Pincher Member

Re: "Ben Bernanke Schools Ron Paul"

Postby silverflake » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:39 pm

DRP270, you bring up a good point about restriction of capital under a gold standard. Well put and this is truly one of the short comings of a gold standard. But, that potential economic challenge is completely negated by the fact that the gold standard puts the monetary power of the country in the peoples hands and causes the government to have to stay within their means (or at least the means of the system). It has been mentioned on many threads throughout this fine site that "in the old days" of the gold standard when when paper money circulated alongside silver and gold, the people, if they began to lose faith in the paper (even with the promise to pay the holder in gold and silver) could saunter up to the bank window and slap down a $20 bill and get an ounce (roughly) of gold in exchange to hold until their faith in government came back. I think that is an example of Gresham's law. It was the check that kept the government 'honest'. When that was stolen from U.S. citizens in 1933 by FDR, the control was stolen too and the government began it's legacy of devaluation. I'll take monetary integrity over temporary money supply/capital shrinkage/shortage any day because at the very least, though the situation you describe can be not pretty, under the gold standard, our liberties are preserved.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions