Someone pinch me...

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Someone pinch me...

Postby Redneck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:01 pm

I might be dreaming.

FCC decision strikes critical blow to right-wing radio dominance

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/20/f ... dominance/

Finally, it looks like something good is about to happen.

“There’s hardly news at all on commercial radio at this point, much less a diversity of viewpoints and a diversity of news.” Doyle concluded. “A lot of times corporate media doesn’t even cover things that are majority views, and there’s a disconnect between what we hear in the media and what we know most of our neighbors are thinking and feeling. This is a real opportunity for people to connect with each other and start building real alternatives.”

Hopefully, this will allow real information to be distributed and not just Left vs. Right dogma.

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Someone pinch me...

Postby silverflake » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Not sure I am understanding this: AM radio is the only alternative we have to the constant barage of liberal whining. Is this thread celebrating an assault on the only media avenue that common sense right wingers have? I admit that you have to wade through tons of obnoxious ego to listen to Rush and some whining from Hannity but when you listen to the absolute cluelessness of the left on MSNBC and even CNN then we should all be rallying to prevent anything that threatens our (I am making a broad assumption that most folks on realcent lean right or at least libetarian economically) alternative voice in a world of Obama sheep.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 pm

From what I gather the bill simply allows more low power stations. "como Mexico"

I don't see the downside. More opinions on the radio, that's good. Isn't it?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Ardent Listener » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 pm

If I'm driving between the hours of noon to three I have to tune into Canadian Radio to get away from El Rushbo.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby theo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Thogey wrote:From what I gather the bill simply allows more low power stations. "como Mexico"

True, but they seem to see it as the first step to pushing Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity off the air. I doubt there is a threat now, but I think the FCC will make an attempt to limit access to conservative opinion on the radio, especially if Ob*ma gets elected to a second term. This crowd doesn't like the 1st Amendment. I know conservative talk can be a bit much at times, but they are an important source for alternative opinions and analysis (which wouldn't be necessary if the MSM actually did its job). Hannity was one of the first members of the media to bring light to Ob*ma's radical past (particularly Reverend Wright) and Beck was warning about a potential market crash in late 2007/early 2008. Everybody (myself included) called him nuts. I was so mad I stopped listening to him.

If the left wants to counter the conservative message on the radio, they should improve their content. There are plenty of left-wing voices on the radio, but very few of them have the ratings to expand. I was listening to one them today (Bash the Right Radio) and it was barely coherent. The host kept asserting that the "right-wing corporate stooges" are racist and why can't everyone see that? His only supporting fact was an obviously out of context Ron Paul quote. Not everything Limbaugh says is defendable, but compared to the left he comes off as fairly responsible.
Last edited by theo on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:53 pm

theo wrote:
Thogey wrote:From what I gather the bill simply allows more low power stations. "como Mexico"

True, but they seem to see it as the first step to pushing Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity off the air. I doubt there is a threat now, but I think the FCC will make an attempt to limit access to conservative opinion on the radio, especially if Ob*ma gets elected to a second term. I know conservative talk can be a bit much at times, but they are an important source for alternative opinions and analysis (which wouldn't be necessary if the MSM actually did its job). Hannity was one of the first members of the media to bring light to Ob*ma's radical past and Beck was warning about a potential market crash in late 2007/early 2008. Everybody (myself included) called him nuts. I was so mad I stopped listening to him.

If the left wants to counter the conservative message on the radio, they should improve their content. There are plenty of left-wing voices on the radio, but very few of them have the ratings to expand. I was listening to one them today (Bash the Right Radio) and it was barely coherent. The host kept asserting that the "right-wing corporate stooges" are racist and why can't everyone see that? His only supporting fact was an obviously out of context Ron Paul quote. Not everything Limbaugh says is defendable, but compared to the left he comes off as fairly responsible.

How does this push anyone off the air?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby theo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Thogey wrote:
theo wrote:

True, but they seem to see it as the first step to pushing Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity off the air. I doubt there is a threat now, but I think the FCC will make an attempt to limit access to conservative opinion on the radio, especially if Ob*ma gets elected to a second term. I know conservative talk can be a bit much at times, but they are an important source for alternative opinions and analysis (which wouldn't be necessary if the MSM actually did its job). Hannity was one of the first members of the media to bring light to Ob*ma's radical past and Beck was warning about a potential market crash in late 2007/early 2008. Everybody (myself included) called him nuts. I was so mad I stopped listening to him.

How does this push anyone off the air?

The article strongly implies that this effort is part of a larger strategy to limit the influence of conservative opinion on the radio. The people who are pushing this seem to be same people who tried influences Rush's adertisers to pull their ads. I won't defend Limbaugh comments but there is clearly a double standard here.

"In other words, the dismantling of Rush Limbaugh was just the beginning, and the whole FM dial is next."

There as been an effort over the past decade to "localize" radio stations so they would be less likely to carry nationally syndicated shows, like Limbaugh. Now it seems like they are trying another route.

"The bill freed up portions of the radio spectrum that had otherwise been kept empty by the larger broadcasters, who had long insisted upon four clicks of blank space on the FM dial to prevent interference. It also stipulated that new space on the dial must be reserved for community stations in urban areas where there might otherwise be none."

Now it could be that the request for the blank space is merely an attempt by the larger stations to squelch competition. However allowing local community stations to set up shop one click over could be a back-handed attempt to block out the larger station in certain areas. Honestly, I don't know enough to tell the difference.

In any event, its seems like this is a political decision in that it is likely that most, if not all, of these community stations will be left leaning. It will be interesting to see if any tea partiers or libertarians get let in. My guess is that the plug would get pulled at the first mention of Ron Paul. Having all of that, I would love to be wrong.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Redneck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:55 am

I don't see this as a "Left vs. Right" issue.
Instead, I see it as a chance to get real information (hopefully) into the public's hands.
Just as the internet has allowed people access to alternative views in which they can wade through the Left - Right dogma to find the truth.

What I can't believe, hence the title "Someone pinch me...", is that they actually cracked open the door for this to happen.

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Later » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:08 am

people still fight left & right
while the zionist fed takes both ur taxes/slave wages.
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:17 am

If the channels are going to nonprofits, you can bet they'll be used by special interests...

"Welcome to citizens for Obama radio"
next channel
"Welcome to citizens for free healthcare radio"
next channel
"Welcome to hope and change"
next
"Welcome to green living. Today our topic is government subsidies for the Chevrolet Volt"
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:40 am

It is an attempt to drown out the national programs like Beck, Rush, Hannity.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:12 am

Redneck wrote:I don't see this as a "Left vs. Right" issue.
Instead, I see it as a chance to get real information (hopefully) into the public's hands.
Just as the internet has allowed people access to alternative views in which they can wade through the Left - Right dogma to find the truth.

What I can't believe, hence the title "Someone pinch me...", is that they actually cracked open the door for this to happen.

>

What is it about this administration's behavior over the past 3 years which indicates they are at all interested in alternative views?
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Redneck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:38 pm

theo wrote:

>

What is it about this administration's behavior over the past 3 years which indicates they are at all interested in alternative views?

Nothing.

That's why I can't believe their going to allow this.

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Delawhere Jack » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Good luck unseating Limbaugh, it's been tried over and over and over again. He's been on the radio for what, 23yrs? Everytime they try to take him out, it only makes more people tune in to see what all the controversy is about. Many become regular listeners.

Personally I prefer Michael Savage.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Delawhere Jack » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Instead, I see it as a chance to get real information (hopefully) into the public's hands.Just as the internet has allowed people access to alternative views in which they can wade through the Left - Right dogma to find the truth.

>

You will get the "information" that TPTB deem appropriate for your consumption.

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

I am the Slime, Frank Zappa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yq7043awb4

(Why can't I get the youtube embed to work? I've done it before.)
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Engineer wrote:If the channels are going to nonprofits, you can bet they'll be used by special interests...

"Welcome to citizens for Obama radio"
next channel
"Welcome to citizens for free healthcare radio"
next channel
"Welcome to hope and change"
next
"Welcome to green living. Today our topic is government subsidies for the Chevrolet Volt"

+1
fb101

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Delawhere Jack wrote:You will get the "information" that TPTB deem appropriate for your consumption.

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

I am the Slime, Frank Zappa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yq7043awb4

(Why can't I get the youtube embed to work? I've done it before.)

Thumbs up for Zappa

I think there is a bigger spread in the media than left vs right and its the conglomerate vs the other. And that is why the main stram people seem dumb. They never get a lick of truth in their info.

Im a big fan of CBC radio in Canada and dont mind listening to the (nutty but sometimes correct) right wing radio in my city as well. They both have their good and bad.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:55 pm

I just commented on this story, but I deleted it because no one cares about what a middle aged tax paying white person says....
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions