Could a Greek Bank Run Go Global?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Could a Greek Bank Run Go Global?

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue May 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Could a Greek Bank Run Go Global?

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue May 15, 2012 1:04 pm

looking that way....
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed May 16, 2012 1:35 pm

hobo finds

Postby TXBullion » Wed May 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Anybody know what normal withdrawals amount would be? Just for comparison purposes to gain perspective on the amount if it is insignificant or significant
TXBullion

Postby Beau » Wed May 16, 2012 7:16 pm

on MSN today they said the limit would be 300 Euros a day withdrawl.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed May 16, 2012 7:19 pm

300 a day and you will see bad things happen! No way they would go that low...
hobo finds

Postby Beau » Wed May 16, 2012 7:54 pm

if someone knows how to get back to this mornings MSN homepage that is where I read it.
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby deacon » Wed May 16, 2012 9:47 pm

They are already talking about setting withdrawal limits? That will just cause people to panic more.
I'm sure there will be ways around that. Cash back on debt cards. Have friends cash checks. Many more ways I'm sure.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Wed May 16, 2012 9:52 pm

A withdraw limit imposed by the government is when I pick up my gun. That is a breaking point.

That is when we decide to live free or die!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby deacon » Thu May 17, 2012 7:43 am

Looks like this bank run is spreading.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/ ... MG20120517
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverflake » Thu May 17, 2012 7:49 am

Keep in mind too that France has a law that prohibits purchases and sales of gold in increments of more than 600 Euro/day. (Please confirm that before quoting - I remember reading it on zerohedge a while back).
So, withdrawal limits, gold purchase limits - the collapse is near isn't it?

Keep stacking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Thu May 17, 2012 7:50 am

That France law would seem to prevent anyone from ever purchasing an ounce of gold? Knowing France it's probably true :)
barrytrot

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu May 17, 2012 9:02 am

So lets talk about the facts and what people are seeing and not seeing in Greece.

Fact: $900 million was withdrawn in a single day

Fact: An interim government would take the country through to new elections on June 17, triggered by the collapse on Tuesday of talks to form a coalition between winners of the inconclusive May 6 election.

Fact: Greeks are withdrawing Euros from banks, apparently afraid of the prospect of rapid devaluation if the country leaves the European single currency and returns to the drachma.

Fact: Greeks have already been withdrawing their savings from banks at a sharp clip - nearly a third of bank deposits were withdrawn between January 2010 and March 2012, reducing total Greek household and business deposits to 165 billion Euros.

So we all think a bank run is seeing lines of people crowded outside the doors yelling and screaming but in reality that is not happening. Why you might ask?

In Greece many people are poor, for the average worker salaries have dropped by more than a third over the past year, but costs have not!

There are no lines to withdraw money, that is true at this point but maybe that's because many Greeks have precious little left in the bank to withdraw.

People do not have the money to cover their basic needs and every day more and more people get in that situation. (Interesting, does this sound like something we have heard before?)

So folks if you don't have money to buy food it is a little difficult to be worried about the future isn't it? Keep in mind you might have voted but still things are so screwed up and you don't feel like you vote really changed anything. (Wow, that hope and change didn't work after all did it?) People in Greece today are worried about survival!

I will give you a little inside scoop here: Greece is in effect finished and done...stick a fork in it! Because there is an interim government, it is like a ship without a rudder. The country will officially go bankrupt and fail. It is not a matter of "if" at this point but "when".
Copper Catcher

Postby Mossy » Thu May 17, 2012 10:41 am

silverflake wrote:...prohibits purchases and sales of gold in increments of more than 600 Euro/day...
Cannot confirm, but that's a bit more than a quarter ounce coin costs, so we should see a premium on that class of coin. Ifso.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions