How much cash do you keep on hand?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

How much cash do you keep on hand?

Postby moparal7 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:20 pm

moparal7
Penny Collector Member

Re: How much cash do you keep on hand?

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:31 pm

moparal7 wrote:http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/06/20-reasons-why-americas-next-bank-holiday-will-be-a-nightmare.html Any thoughts on this?

The scenarios are largely possible and the points made are valid. I generally keep (depending on the day) between 1K and 2K in notes outside of the banking system, as well as about 2K in nickels. Not counting the copper cent hoard. When you live in Florida and you're of the prepping mentality, preparing for Hurricane season is very much like this and a normal part of the year, so nothing new here. If a big one hits, after it is gone, for about as far as you can drive (or have gas to drive, unless you're like me and store a lot) - all shelves will be bare, ATMs will be down, gas stations will be closed for lack of power, phones will be dead, banks will be closed, and any shops that are open will require cash in order to purchase anything.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:02 pm

68Camaro wrote:
moparal7 wrote:http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/06/20-reasons-why-americas-next-bank-holiday-will-be-a-nightmare.html Any thoughts on this?

The scenarios are largely possible and the points made are valid. I generally keep (depending on the day) between 1K and 2K in notes outside of the banking system, as well as about 2K in nickels. Not counting the copper cent hoard. When you live in Florida and you're of the prepping mentality, preparing for Hurricane season is very much like this and a normal part of the year, so nothing new here. If a big one hits, after it is gone, for about as far as you can drive (or have gas to drive, unless you're like me and store a lot) - all shelves will be bare, ATMs will be down, gas stations will be closed for lack of power, phones will be dead, banks will be closed, and any shops that are open will require cash in order to purchase anything.

Which has always made me wonder why Floridians don't give the state back to the alligators and head for higher ground. :)

Copper Catcher started a thread yesterday about digital money. (http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15639) The preparations recommended by the writer of the survivalblog.com article linked above could be applied to the conditions we might experience under a fiat digital monetary system. Some realcenters will protest (silently or otherwise) against a digital system involving some sort of mandatory "mark" or number in our hand or forehead. However, if we are living without both FRN cash and digital dollars we will stand out if we are still thriving. Our neighbors will wonder how we can stay alive without ever going to the store. Our ability to do more than merely survive could make us targets, depending on the type of neighbors we have.

Ray (beauanderos) once wrote about some of us like-minded individuals buying some land and developing a retreat. Of course others not associated with this site have done the same for years. Any interest in considering that idea again? I know...I know...the US is a big country and getting widely dispersed individuals interested to agree on location would be tough. I'm a big-city dweller. In my case, almost anywhere besides here would be better, plus my income is not dependent on location so I have some flexibility. I don't want to hijack this thread. If there is interest in forming a "retreat committee" let's exchange ideas in the Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About forum. Or you could PM me.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:21 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Which has always made me wonder why Floridians don't give the state back to the alligators and head for higher ground. :)

Can't speak for most here, because even after 30 years here I really don't consider myself a Floridian. There really are Floridians, and they are much like the bayou Lousianans (if that's a word). They like it hot, humid, buggy, and the smell of mildew is an attractive fragance to them! :shock:

Not to me, unfortunately, but with the wonder of modern air conditioning combined with the attraction of a well-paying job, I can live here.

The one thing I do well with here, surprisingly, is allergies - perhaps because of the constant refresh of ocean air that is typically no more than 1-4 hours old, from either coast. When I go anywhere else in the country - even high plains/mountains of NM, which I love - my allergies kill me.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:31 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Ray (beauanderos) once wrote about some of us like-minded individuals buying some land and developing a retreat. Of course others not associated with this site have done the same for years. Any interest in considering that idea again? I know...I know...the US is a big country and getting widely dispersed individuals interested to agree on location would be tough. I'm a big-city dweller. In my case, almost anywhere besides here would be better, plus my income is not dependent on location so I have some flexibility. I don't want to hijack this thread. If there is interest in forming a "retreat committee" let's exchange ideas in the Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About forum. Or you could PM me.

I've had a couple of conversations on this as well. A work friend of mine - who did join RC but mostly lurks - has talked with me about possibly acting on that. And before that, my wife and I did spend a few hours last winter considering some properties for that purpose. In the meantime, general preps continue, regardless.

As to Florida specifically, I will note that a major drawback of living where I do is that in the event of a disaster the best short-term option is to be able to hunker down. Florida of course is a peninsula, you can only leave via the norther border of the state, and unless you live adjacent to that line there are effectively only two roads out of Florida - I75 and I95 (with I4, I10, and the Florida Turnpike connecting them but not providing an effective third pathway). If even a fraction of our 16 million people try to get on them it turns to utter chaos. The 2004 hurricanes turned the roads into solid gridlock, and I would rather hunker down than be on the road moving to a safe retreat in the middle of a disaster. Such a move would have to come later, if it was possible.
68Camaro

Postby rickygee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Cash on hand? Lend me thirty cents and I've got five bucks! :lol: :lol: :lol:
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Z00 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Whatever you decide is the proper amount for YOU to have, make sure 50% is in coinage. When you have to deal with a business and they cannot get "change" from the bank you may have to buy an item you don't really want just to get close to an even dollar amount or just let them "keep the change."
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Whinstone » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 pm

I don't know how much I have...because I have it hidden though out the house. I have alot of those infamous presidential coins hidden. Because I am weird and I like them. Lately, I have been worried that I don't have enough hidden if a situation occurred and I would have to get into my penny/nickel hoard. I would like to have about 2k in cash
Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you. You will only double trouble and trouble others too.........anonymous
Whinstone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:12 pm

I always keep enough for two tacos and a glass of water.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Silver Addict » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 pm

I used to keep 5k on hand.....then sub $30 silver came along....
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:33 pm

shinnosuke wrote: ... system involving some sort of mandatory "mark" or number in our hand or forehead.

LOL, you already have accepted the mark. They lie to you to make you think it is not already in play.

The number "in your hand" is the SSN you must write to make any financial transaction.

The "number in your forehead" is the SSN you must remember to transact in the current world.

It is NOW, not the future.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:01 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:
shinnosuke wrote: ... system involving some sort of mandatory "mark" or number in our hand or forehead.

LOL, you already have accepted the mark. They lie to you to make you think it is not already in play.

The number "in your hand" is the SSN you must write to make any financial transaction.

The "number in your forehead" is the SSN you must remember to transact in the current world.

It is NOW, not the future.

You're right, of course. When SS cards were first issued Americans were told that it would only be used by the employer to submit our SS taxes to the government. Now a man can't fart without somebody asking for our SSN. But there are still some worthy transactions which I can do without revealing that number, namely precious metals for which one pays cash. Any transaction by credit card can be tied back to one's SSN.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm a firm believer in having some cash on hand. Also a believer in having different types for various situations. Forget $100 notes in a disaster situation. Likely no change for those in smaller transactions. FRNs of $1 through $10 will be the ones most easily transacted and a few $20s for larger purchases.

I've also put aside a couple rolls of Walking Lib halves for their silver content. No doubt by anyone these are older coins and not confused by the ignorant as with clad, 40% and 90% Kennedy halves. Same thing with Mercury dimes. Instant recognition and acceptance.

That in tandem with a large amount of lead in bullet form should enable me to address most unpleasant circumstances.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions