Euro drop to 1.20x (was 1.21x)

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Euro drop to 1.20x (was 1.21x)

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 am

As I watched this morning over a cup of coffee, big drop below 1.22. Looks like some attempts to support it at 1.219 but this is the first drop below 1.22 in two years, and except for that other low, the lowest it's been in 8 years, since the euro build-up. A drop below 1.20 would indicate a significant loss of faith in the thing. It's on the edge.

7/24 Update - continues to trend down, as one might expect in the absence of major intervention. Eventually the flight to other assets could be unsupportable by Fed buying Euros with USD as even the Fed might not want provide that much support for Euro.
Last edited by 68Camaro on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Euro drop to 1.21x

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:42 pm

I buy a large amount of materials out of Italy and much of it I buy with the Euro. So this drop has really helped out with my margins. :D No one is getting their prices lowered right now though. I am sure that it is only a matter of time before they raise their prices in reaction to increases in their raw material costs because of their lower buying power. If the Euro would just stay right here at $1.22, I would be a happy camper.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Euro drop to 1.21x

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Drop continued until "something" happened about 830am this morning as the Euro was drifting badly back down into the 1.216's. I suspect someone feared the direction, and bought a bunch of Euros - probably the Fed in a USD - Euro transaction (great, now the US owns more Euros) - just because they can - there is no limit to the amount of USD they can print. All supposition on my part. But some action raised the Euro from 1.216 to 1.223 instantly. What was cause versus affect I'm can't be sure of, but the European market responded positively within minutes. and the US market then opened on a bump up.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Re: Euro drop to 1.20x (was 1.21x)

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am

7/24 Update - continues to trend down, as one might expect in the absence of major intervention. Eventually the flight to other assets could be unsupportable by Fed buying Euros with USD as even the Fed might not want provide that much support for Euro.
68Camaro

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions