Bank pays interest with ice cream

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Bank pays interest with ice cream

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:19 am

I say screw the banks in general. You ever wonder why there is regulation anyway? To keep the little guy from being an entrepreneur:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... lenews_wsj

Basically, Ethan Clay can get banking customers that get back ice cream. My bank, not so much. Now, if someone interested Mr. Clay into starting a bank backed by copper cents, well, wouldn't that be a great thing too.

Oh, and:

'State regulators did visit the parlor "and reported that the ice cream was good," said Mr. Novak. '

BWAHAHAHAHA........
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Bank pays interest with ice cream

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:33 am

:thumbup: I love the idea....
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby barrytrot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:34 am

Here is my thought: They should have some sort of "intelligence test". If you have an IQ of at least 101 (so slightly above average or better) then they should let you do ANYTHING that doesn't directly impact some else. Period.

If you want to invest your money in an ice cream bank or anything else if you are "smart enough to know the difference" it should be fair game.

Just add to any deposit paper work a simple statement, "I am of sound mind and above average intelligence and realize this is not a bank in the traditional sense. I also realize that they are not insured and that I could lose some or all of my investment."

With that, everything and I mean EVERYTHING should be allowed as long as it doesn't directly impact someone else. And yes by EVERYTHING I even mean things I think are immoral or "wrong". Again, as long as there is no direct impact to others.
barrytrot

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:48 pm

What kind of robbery would this bank suffer?

"The thief stole the tutti-frutti flavor-of-the-month buckets! "
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:37 pm

Copper Catcher

Postby fansubs_ca » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:29 am

Neat idea, however I don't know if I'm comfortable with the history of the guy running it.
(Overdrawing his checking account could be a sign of bad math skills or generally poor
financial habits, not what you want from the guy holding the money.)

Even if the state eventually decides to leave him alone I think he'll find the amount he can
get in interest (after default/collection costs) won't keep up with what he's promising to
pay out (even if it is in product he can buy wholesale). If he starts getting behind it won't
be obvious right away but will eventually fall apart suddenly.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:04 am

fansubs: Check the history on many bankers :) Much worse than a few over drafts!
barrytrot

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions