Government Should Level With Public About Social Security

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Government Should Level With Public About Social Security

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:41 am

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Government Should Level With Public About Social Securit

Postby brian0918 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:55 am

That would be the responsible thing to do. So they absolutely will not. They will continue to blame everyone but themselves.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Z00 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:25 am

The intent of the Social Security Amendments of 1983 was not followed. The surplus Social Security revenue from the tax hike was supposed to be saved and invested in marketable Treasury bonds to build up a reserve with which to finance the retirement of the baby boomers.

I sincerely hope that this will end the argument that SS is some kind of freebie "ENTITLEMENT" program.

YES we are entitled. If the program were administered as it should have been, the TRUST FUND would have the money.

It is plain and simple, the "special obligations" is the money that the government unlawfully stole and needs to repay.

So much for the full faith and trust of the US govt.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby brian0918 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:33 am

The Supreme Court upheld far prior to 1983 that Social Security is not an entitlement - it is a tax. See e.g. Flemming vs. Nestor (1960). You are not entitled to anything, and anyone who told you otherwise was just buying your vote. Your money was spent as soon as they got it.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Z00 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:43 am

As stated, the INTENT in 1983 was to help offset the 1960 ruling. While it may not have been enough, it would have helped fund things until a better solution was formulated.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mongo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 pm

All this is really too bad because when it falls down its going to be ugly. So many people depend on Social Security. Of the 9 houses in my neighborhood I know that 5 of the 9 depend on SSI every month to survive. 2 because of work related injuries and 3 have retired. This is so typical. All of my life ive paid into this with the understanding that when i retired the money would be there to supplement my retirement. Now the cards are on the table and oh BTW we are broke and have robbed all the money for other things like foreign aid to people who hate us. I predict they will come after the 401k funds before its all over. I believe weve lost our moral compass and as a result we are faced with things just like this.

Sort on and dont stop stacking

Mongo
mongo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:51 pm

It is sad to see so many people who depend on it, knowing that it's probably going to hit a wall at some point. I'm in my early 30s and have always assumed that it's just another ridiculously high tax that I'm going to get hammered with. I live and work under the assumption that I will never, ever see a dime of it. If I get old and do get a little, it's going to be more than I expect.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:14 pm

I just want to opt out of it, if it is going to become another tax burden. Let people take care of themselves.

Social security was bound to fail at some point anyways.

Let the people who have paid in, take out what they have paid in.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:28 pm

maybe they could take some of the money they used to bail out corporate america, and give it to the people that paid into social security....

it is becoming more invaluable to work in this country daily, I wonder what will happen if everyone just stops working.....
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 pm

Hawkeye wrote:It is sad to see so many people who depend on it, knowing that it's probably going to hit a wall at some point. I'm in my early 30s and have always assumed that it's just another ridiculously high tax that I'm going to get hammered with. I live and work under the assumption that I will never, ever see a dime of it. If I get old and do get a little, it's going to be more than I expect.

I am in the same boat, but I do not see how they can just stop doing this without a good bit of warning toward the people. I am planning to never see it, but a lot of the older generations did not. I do not see it as very fair to them if it is just taken out overnight.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:25 am

Every one of you who feel FICA (Social Security) is a total rip-off should contact a good CPA. There are legal methods for avoiding some FICA payments. Same thing goes for FUTA (Unemployment).

Become a Sub-Chapter S Corporation. Within the Sub-chapter S, you pay yourself a reasonable salary. All other profits within the Sub-chapter S are disbursed to you, the owner, as dividends. At year end, those dividends are subject to federal & state taxes, but not subject to FICA & FUTA payments.

Most of you can greatly reduce how much you pay into FUTA & FICA in this way.

The bad part is, you will be tempted to spend that money instead of investing it into your retirement.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:00 am

Couldn't the IRS still go after you for the simple reason that you are doing all of that to avoid paying those taxes? The courts have long said that it doesn't matter whether you find a tax loophole - if you're doing it to avoid taxes, you're guilty. Ask Irwin Schiff.

Update: I'll answer my own question: Yes

Subchapter S-Corporations have become a target for audit by the IRS. A recent study of 500 S-corporation returns by the Government Accounting Office (GAO) shows that salaries to shareholders average $53,000 and distributions are $49,000. The GAO expressed concern to Congress that many S-corporation shareholders are not reporting the proper amount of salary and are possibly evading Social Security tax. Congress adopted a recommendation that the IRS place an emphasis on conducting audits in this area. The IRS has announced that it will audit 5000 S-Corporation tax returns across the country after the close of the 2005 filing season. The emphasis will be on returns that have the characteristics cited in the GAO study.
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:21 pm

John_doe wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:It is sad to see so many people who depend on it, knowing that it's probably going to hit a wall at some point. I'm in my early 30s and have always assumed that it's just another ridiculously high tax that I'm going to get hammered with. I live and work under the assumption that I will never, ever see a dime of it. If I get old and do get a little, it's going to be more than I expect.

I am in the same boat, but I do not see how they can just stop doing this without a good bit of warning toward the people. I am planning to never see it, but a lot of the older generations did not. I do not see it as very fair to them if it is just taken out overnight.

It is unfair. To me, that's the sad part. I don't think they will just cut it off, but I can see them continuing to devalue the dollar to the extent that, while they are technically still paying out, you just can't buy much with the payments. Giving a fair warning to the people would require politicians to be honest and to admit that they have screwed up the whole thing, neither of which do I see happening. It's just a sad situation.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Well, while it is sad, anyone with half a brain (and I realize that's a small number of people) has had fair warning and has every resource necessary available to them to know that this was coming - for at least 30 years. I've worked my entire career of 30+ years planning my future under the presumption that I had to be responsible for myself outside of SS, and that it wouldn't be available to me or anyone younger than myself. And that the generation older than me had best beware as well. So, my sympathies have some limits. The consequences, however, will be heartbreaking.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 am

brian0918 wrote:Couldn't the IRS still go after you for the simple reason that you are doing all of that to avoid paying those taxes? The courts have long said that it doesn't matter whether you find a tax loophole - if you're doing it to avoid taxes, you're guilty. Ask Irwin Schiff.

Update: I'll answer my own question: Yes

Subchapter S-Corporations have become a target for audit by the IRS. A recent study of 500 S-corporation returns by the Government Accounting Office (GAO) shows that salaries to shareholders average $53,000 and distributions are $49,000. The GAO expressed concern to Congress that many S-corporation shareholders are not reporting the proper amount of salary and are possibly evading Social Security tax. Congress adopted a recommendation that the IRS place an emphasis on conducting audits in this area. The IRS has announced that it will audit 5000 S-Corporation tax returns across the country after the close of the 2005 filing season. The emphasis will be on returns that have the characteristics cited in the GAO study.

Thanks for the update. I don't want to be audited any more than anyone else. :o
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions