Your right to resell your own stuff is in peril

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Your right to resell your own stuff is in peril

Postby moparal7 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:27 am

moparal7
Penny Collector Member

Re: Your right to resell your own stuff is in peril

Postby Neckro » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:55 am

Just another greedy bastard wanting more money.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:15 am

Neckro wrote:Just another greedy bastard wanting more money.

What is wrong with that?
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Neckro » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:32 pm

brian0918 wrote:
Neckro wrote:Just another greedy bastard wanting more money.

What is wrong with that?

I'm not talking about the person reselling the item. I am talking about the original seller wanting to Double dip on an item he doesn't own.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Hm, actually this is some scary stuff.

The whole copy-write on stuff that you PAY FOR is a very slippery slope issue in my opinion.

I think they already say that you can't back up certain types of files, etc. Extending it to physical items would be devastating to most people really.

It would likely turn about 90% of people into instant criminals! That's never good.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Kurr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:18 pm

So if I read that right, what would the effects be of commercial resellers? Walmart buys their inventory from abroad so the ruling would be they had to pay the overseas guys a percentage or fee when they sold a product they had purchased already, once it had been sold?
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Kurr wrote:So if I read that right, what would the effects be of commercial resellers? Walmart buys their inventory from abroad so the ruling would be they had to pay the overseas guys a percentage or fee when they sold a product they had purchased already, once it had been sold?

Probably that is true.

But Walmart wouldn't actually be impacted because they would just call the overseas guys and work out a deal for themselves. Walmart is immune to nearly all legislation, fyi.

But for smaller stores and for people that are just selling or lending their own stuff, look out if this passes.
barrytrot

Postby Engineer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:49 pm

This case wouldn't have existed if the textbook seller wasn't price gouging Americans. I don't feel a bit sorry for them and applaud the guy who had the initiative to import the books on his own. It's the "free" market at work.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Engineer wrote:This case wouldn't have existed if the textbook seller wasn't price gouging Americans. I don't feel a bit sorry for them and applaud the guy who had the initiative to import the books on his own. It's the "free" market at work.

Very true.

Let's hope the Supreme court does something it rarely does and upholds freedom.
barrytrot

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Engineer wrote:This case wouldn't have existed if the textbook seller wasn't price gouging Americans. I don't feel a bit sorry for them and applaud the guy who had the initiative to import the books on his own. It's the "free" market at work.

Yep, totally agree. I bought all my text books overseas when I was in grad school. It was either pay $200 for one book at the bookstore or $30-40 through my source. Saved me a bunch of money.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ScrapMetal » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:58 am

Reminds me of Monsanto GMO seeds and farmers being sued for keeping some of their own seeds to plant the next year.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions