U.S. bank run by end of year?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

U.S. bank run by end of year?

Postby moparal7 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:23 pm

moparal7
Penny Collector Member

Re: U.S. bank run by end of year?

Postby Rosco » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:22 pm

I hope not as it will impact little people like the Wife and I

big thanks Ben
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Not likely. They will put it all off as long as possible, and I don't think we're anywhere near that point yet.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby gresham » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:29 pm

There have been lines at banks to get money in the country, but I don't think this will happen at every bank. What I fear is that Ben will give us mass inflation to protect us from a national bank run if people do line up outside the bank. If mass inflation happens people will just spend their money instead of getting it out of the bank.
gresham
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:36 am

only the first sentence of this article is true, and the rest is conjecture that does not follow logically. there are a lot of things to worry about, but this is not among them.

when TARP was passed, they raised deposit insurance on "transaction accounts" from 250 to unlimited. examples would be your employer's payroll account. historically, regulators prohibited paying interest on checking accounts. banks got around that in the 70s, but then the insurance was limited encouraging people to shift the bulk to time deposits (cd's). the limit will be reimplemented in 2013, but it is not expected to be significant. your employer is not going to move his payroll account to canada becuase the fdic is capping the insurance. also, the u.s. banks are in a lot better shape now.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions