Crazy gas prices!

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Crazy gas prices!

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:27 pm

So gas is going for $4.89 around here today, it just shot up about 40 cents. Why? Oil and metals went down today. :?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Re: Crazy gas prices!

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 pm

blackrabbit wrote:So gas is going for $4.89 around here today, it just shot up about 40 cents. Why? Oil and metals went down today. :?

LOS ANGELES (AP) — California gas prices continued surging Friday, adding another 17 cents per gallon on average, and the increases are expected to continue for at least several more days, ensuring long lines and short tempers at pumps around the state.
A week of soaring costs has led some stations to close and others to charge record prices — in some places $5 or more — as California leapfrogged Hawaii as the state with the most expensive fuel. The average price for a gallon of regular unleaded across California was nearly $4.49 on Friday, 32 cents more than a week ago and the highest statewide average in the nation, according to AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge report.
The national average is about $3.79 a gallon, the highest ever for this time of year. However, gas prices in many other states have started decreasing, which is typical for October.
Rebecca Olson, 43, of Irvine, drove to a Costco in Tustin hoping to find lower prices than the $4.65 in her neighborhood, but the pumps were closed.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/S ... z28TSwfYay
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:55 pm

I filled up yesterday morning for $4.17 a gallon... today it was $4.53!!! :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby slickeast » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 pm

I paid $3.66 for premium this morning. Regular was $3.36.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:42 pm

slickeast wrote:I paid $3.66 for premium this morning. Regular was $3.36.

SC gas is always cheap. Must be the taxes.

$3.89 yesterday's fill up. The wife and I have been driving her Sub more.....that thing runs on hopes and dreams compaired to my thirsty Jeep.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Engineer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:53 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
slickeast wrote:I paid $3.66 for premium this morning. Regular was $3.36.

SC gas is always cheap. Must be the taxes.

$3.89 yesterday's fill up. The wife and I have been driving her Sub more.....that thing runs on hopes and dreams compaired to my thirsty Jeep.

If you think Jeeps are bad on gas where you live, you should try them on short city drives in a northern winter. :shock:

I felt lucky to get 10mpg out of mine during the cold months...
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:09 am

I just bought a Mercedes 190D, 2.5 liter, turbodiesel for 85 oz of Ag, in 90% US coin. The car is ok and it gets +35 mpg. There are tweaks I can do to get up to near 40 mpg. I bought it in Tenn. and am driving it home to Idaho this week..
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:28 am

California uses special CA-only gas, your state won't allow any substitute (no matter what - how's that for government?) and two of your refineries are down...

News showed an independent gas-station owner that paid $30,000 to fill up a tank last week and they wanted $50,000 to fill it up this week, so he just shut down his pumps when he ran out - said he couldn't afford to fill up or pass on that cost....
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks for the article Henry, and thanks for the other responses too. I understand it better now.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:32 am

I used to have a nice Diesel 82 VW rabbit caddy pickup that got over 40 miles per gallon easy, wish I still had a vehicle like that for all my local driving. I have heard that Ford makes light diesel pickup trucks in the USA that get over 70 miles per gallon but they can only sell them in Europe and other places because of out fascist/mafia political economy.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 am

blackrabbit wrote:I used to have a nice Diesel 82 VW rabbit caddy pickup that got over 40 miles per gallon easy, wish I still had a vehicle like that for all my local driving. I have heard that Ford makes light diesel pickup trucks in the USA that get over 70 miles per gallon but they can only sell them in Europe and other places because of out fascist/mafia political economy.

I wouldn't be surprised. I'd already been thinking about buying a 48cc bicycle (125mpg, 35 mph) for getting to work... maybe this will give me the push I needed.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby natsb88 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:57 pm

"Only" $3.89 in central PA. Still $115 bucks for a full tank :? $0.35+ per mile running errands in my guzzler...
natsb88

Postby silverflake » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:28 pm

I thank God in heaven everyday that I go to work. My commute is down 1 flight of stairs, and into my office. Yes, I work full time from home! Count my blessing each night.

Keep stacking gang.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:36 pm

I have always thought that with the technology we have now days that if we wanted to we could have full size pickups getting 100 mpg. But you know TPTB aren't going to allow that.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Full tank for the Motor home is $250 + an its still in Boise ID, thats about 450 miles an I get 7 MPG when I behave my self. We did have a lot of Fun before the Transmission problem. Over all the conveniences of your own bathroom an meals an drinks until I need to go are good except on narrow two lanes.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby gresham » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 pm

3.68 here. Not above 4 dollars but it feels crazy to me. I thought for sure that everyone would have 4 dollar gas by now.
gresham
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:28 pm

gresham wrote:3.68 here. Not above 4 dollars but it feels crazy to me. I thought for sure that everyone would have 4 dollar gas by now.

That's only 15 cents/gallon in 90% coins. By that measure, either gas is too cheap or PMs are too high.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thepennyfund » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:06 pm

It's time for me to invest in a bicycle and motorcycle/moped. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands for bike/motorbikes?
Please check out my site http://thepennyfund.weebly.com/ I buy and sell Pre-1982 pennies by the pound. I'm happy to negotiate realistic offers that make sense for both parties. Let's see if we can make a deal.

New Jersey Residents: $150 CTUs - (Cash Only) We can meet daytime in a public place. PM me to set up an appointment.
thepennyfund

Postby slickeast » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Yesterdays gas and diesel prices. The price with the green background is diesel.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions