Postal Service Cancels Saturday Service

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Postal Service Cancels Saturday Service

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 am

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post ... 62d8b191e2

Still delivers Packages, but no more First Class Service starting in August

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Postal Service Cancels Saturday Service

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 am

Will the offices still be open to drop packages off? I work Monday through Friday and when I ship out coins Saturday is the only day I can get to the post office to get them sent out.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverEye » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:33 pm

I never understood why we had Saturday delivery anyways.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:40 pm

SilverEye wrote:I never understood why we had Saturday delivery anyways.

Well us hicks that live out in sticks liked Saturday mail. Saturday is the only day I have time to read the paper and get caught up on things. Now I won't get my Saturday paper until Monday.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:23 pm

NDFarmer wrote:Will the offices still be open to drop packages off? I work Monday through Friday and when I ship out coins Saturday is the only day I can get to the post office to get them sent out.

Do you not ship them from your house? I rarely go to the post office. I just put everything in the mailbox or schedule a pickup. But you are correct, how dumb is it to cancel a Saturday service, why not a tuesday or wednesday? Now we will have 2 consecutive days of no service.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:42 pm

The Postmaster General cannot just stop the Saturday service. Only Congress has that right by passing laws...and I guess Obama does also by-passing the constitution.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:51 pm

I saw packages will still go on Saturdays just not letters. If your PO was open on Saturdays it still will be. Not sure how this will cut down costs. And wait till after a Holiday weekend with no mail Sat or Monday! They will need Temps to help with Tuesdays mail! LOL
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:35 pm

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote: Do you not ship them from your house?

I only ship SFRB's from my house. When I ship 5 or 10 CTU's in one shot I have to take them to the post office. But with no deliveries on Saturday I can't ship anything from my house until Monday.

They might as well cut out Tuesday and Thursday too and just deliver the mail on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and really save some money.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Goof » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 pm

hobo finds wrote:I saw packages will still go on Saturdays just not letters. If your PO was open on Saturdays it still will be. Not sure how this will cut down costs. And wait till after a Holiday weekend with no mail Sat or Monday! They will need Temps to help with Tuesdays mail! LOL

That is the current GENIUS plan :roll: ... Of course they won't do what would ACTUALLY help, and cut all the upper management doing pointless jobs being paid a ton.... but, oh well....
Goof
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:12 am

NDFarmer wrote:Well us hicks that live out in sticks liked Saturday mail. Saturday is the only day I have time to read the paper and get caught up on things. Now I won't get my Saturday paper until Monday.

Up here in Canada newspaper delivery is typically done by the private sector, even
"in the sticks". I think the only time newspapers are mailed is subscriptions going
to other provinces/countries where they expect it to take a few days. Canada Post
would be too slow for most newspaper readers.

We've never had Saturday delivery for either letters or parcels, most RPOs (Retail
Postal Outlets) are open 7 days a week for outgoing mail though it won't get picked
up until the next "bussiness day" unless it's peak season around Christmas time.
(They have to do extra pick ups around then or the RPOs would run out of space,
some of them are crammed into pretty tight spaces.) Station Main downtown is
only MO-FR counter service (PO Box access all 7 days) but there is a 7 day RPO
only 2 blocks away.

So it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to only have 5 delivery days, that's
what we've had all along.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:49 am

Why are they waiting until August to start this?
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:45 am

fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:49 am

NDFarmer wrote:

They might as well cut out Tuesday and Thursday too and just deliver the mail on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and really save some money.

I really wasn't joking when I said let's save even more money and cut mail delivery to Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I think most businesses could make this work too. But if they couldn't I guess you could have two classes of mail delivery commercial and residential. So the businesses on main street would get mail delivered Monday through Friday and residential addresses would get the their mail Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This would really save them money and I don't really care if I get my bills on Wednesday rather than Tuesday.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:11 pm

NDFarmer wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:

I really wasn't joking when I said let's save even more money and cut mail delivery to Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I think most businesses could make this work too. But if they couldn't I guess you could have two classes of mail delivery commercial and residential. So the businesses on main street would get mail delivered Monday through Friday and residential addresses would get the their mail Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This would really save them money and I don't really care if I get my bills on Wednesday rather than Tuesday.

I would agree with that. Getting mail every other day instead of every day wouldn't likely be the end of the world for anybody. I wonder what would happen to overnight shipping if that did happen. But I would assume that the overnight stuff is a fairly small chunk of their overall deliveries and that several routes could be consolidated if that's all they had.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions