Egypt military dictatorship regains power in a coup

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Egypt military dictatorship regains power in a coup

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:21 am

On our July 4th I found it striking that Egypt returned to a military dictatorship overnight, with no comment here (that I could discern). It was a coup, but the US government will not call it that because that has specific legal ramifications. Egypt is a disaster waiting to happen.

So I have to reflect on where things are globally now, versus 5-6 years ago when the unraveling of the global economy became more apparent. I see nothing improved, only more of the same, or worse - even far worse. Normalcy bias in the population at large runs rampant, however.

Measured in terms of FRNs my PMs appear to have suffered, but rather than concerned I'm instead hoping that the fire sale on PMs will continue another week, month, six months - as during that time I will be able to accumulate still more ounces at these new lower prices. No matter what might be said by others (for various odd reasons) there are limited amounts of metal in the world and it's not just metal - gold and silver are the historic store of wealth in the world.

Keep your eyes peeled and your preps current folks - there is stuff happening on this very day. When the big things will go down is anyone's guess - a week, a month, a year, five years - who knows. But this is not the time to be unprepared, nor to let your guard down.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Egypt military dictatorship regains power in a coup

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:33 am

I for one have little to say about the coup. Morsi is NOT a good man. Most of the secular, Christian, and Moderate Muslims in Egypt support this coup. Only the extremist Islamofascists supported Morsi. He was a liar. He ran as a moderate, temporate Muslim; but governed as the chief priest of a Caliphate. The people saw they were lied to, and rose up. My concern is for Israel - still surrounded by powers that hate her.

I am glad that we live in a civil society. We are not by nature or nurture violent, antagonistic, or demonstrative. However, I cannot help to think what these United States would look like if WE stood up when we realized we've been lied to. How many of these presidents would be out on their bottoms if we stood by the millions outside The White House and declared, "You are a liar, go away." The next president would be so afraid of the people (as it should be) that he would be True.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:44 am

Yeah, not for or against the coup - it's too complicated to take a side in that mess - just noting that it's interesting that "the people" rose up to depose the guy that they elected just a year ago. So clearly "the people" there don't have a clue what's going on, and they don't have any good choices when they have to rely on military dictatorship to be their best option.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:52 am

Would our Military stand in the face of an elected official turned tyrant?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:08 am

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Would our Military stand in the face of an elected official turned tyrant?

That's a rhetorical question I presume as the answer has already been demonstrated to be no - we have a tyrant in power now who despises the constitution as written and chooses to ignore it or re-interpret it at will. Made all that much worse because the other two branches of government aren't functioning as originally envisioned either (Congress and Supreme Court).

Coups happen when the tyrant overplays his/her hand badly (a sign of a stupid tyrant) and/or when they've had a history and habit of coups in the past.

Our current tyrant may be many things but you can't acuse him of being stupid, and we've never had a coup - rigid military obediance to the civil government.
68Camaro

Postby joefro » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:21 am

Just last week Morsi was calling for Syria's Assad to step down. Assad must be laughing all the way to exile.
joefro

Postby Z00 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:18 am

Such a thing would never happen in this country. The majority is too complacent. Or to put it bluntly.... LAZY. They want "the other guy" to do it.

Makes me sick that I can't find people who want to WORK towards effecting change in how big money controls our system.

'Nuff said before I get on a full political rant.
:sick: :sick: :sick:
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Z00 wrote:Such a thing would never happen in this country. The majority is too complacent. Or to put it bluntly.... LAZY. They want "the other guy" to do it.

Makes me sick that I can't find people who want to WORK towards effecting change in how big money controls our system.

'Nuff said before I get on a full political rant.
:sick: :sick: :sick:

The only way to rile up the US population of sheeple would be to stop all TV broadcast & cable, and stop depositing all the welfare "checks".

Since that ain't a-gonna happen, our presently elected "leaders", will continue to be reelected again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm debating whether this will be net inflationary or deflationary. It seems to frustrate the plans for a war in Syria, which is deflationary, but it's also pumping up oil costs, which is inflationary.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Engineer on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Morsi might regain power still, this happened about a year ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_junta
Last edited by John_doe on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:42 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

There are not that many "agains" left.

BTW I don't even own a television.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Demographics will probably decide the fate of egypt. I am not sure as to how many Shia, Sunni, Coptic Christians etc there are, but I would bet on the populous having its way. Regardless of foreign intervention.

In volatile regions such as egypt the seperation of religion and state are non-existant, typically to the detriment of the people. Dictators are the norm, and I would be surprised to see something different come out of this.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:09 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Would our Military stand in the face of an elected official turned tyrant?

they haven't so far :shifty: :sick:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby John_doe » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:11 pm

how does this compare to the revolution in Iran in terms of effects on the West?
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions