This guy is calling the bottom...

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

This guy is calling the bottom...

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 pm

http://www.321gold.com/editorials/moria ... 22213.html

Given that we've hit a high in stocks, and we've had the latest PM "crash", I'm thinking the larger overall trouble lies just ahead.

Hang on.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: This guy is calling the bottom...

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Calling the bottom in a rigged market is kinda moot.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:09 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:Calling the bottom in a rigged market is kinda moot.

No fooling.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:32 pm

No doubt the market is rigged of course.

But there will always be a bottom in any market. And the forces that manipulate are not all powerful. Eventually the counter forces become unstoppable. Don't discount the analysis in this.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:21 pm

The silver floor beneath us is solid.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:40 pm

This guys wording confuses the hell out of me... :? I understand that gold/xau ratio is pretty high so he is calling a bottom in the gold market? or just a top in the ratio? I don't think that just because the ratio drops that gold will necessarily go up will it? It actually seems kind of backwards to me (but I have had a few drinks tonight :shifty: ) If the price of gold goes up from here then I would think the ratio would have a pretty good chance of it as well.

Anyone care to pull the string and turn on my light bulb for me? Please explain the XAU to me as well as what has to happen for it to go up or down.

I could see us putting in a short term bottom for a while but when the next bubble blows I fully expect to see EVERYTHING pull back significantly. I hope it's not right now though as I am all in going for the next rally/correction. Although this has been profitable in the past I don't care to be around when the big one blows. We probably won't know until after it's over but if it happens next week (the next big crash) it wouldn't surprise me although I think we have a while yet. Might be a good time to be getting out of paper and just being happy with the physical stack for a while??
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby InfleXion » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Moriarty (hmmm) is saying that paper gold gets ahead of physical gold at tops due to overexuberance bringing in more paper players which makes sense, and at bottoms physical gold (strong hands) gets ahead of paper gold (speculators) which has a lower XAU/Gold ratio as is currently the case. As the price of gold rises and entices more investors into paper gold the XAU/Gold ratio should rise with it.

I can see why you were confused. He first did the XAU/Gold graph and then the Gold/XAU graph, and referred to one incorrectly.
My favorite measure of investor psychology is the XAU over gold. At tops, investors favor the shares so the XAU is high and at bottoms they favor the metal so gold is high relative to the XAU. We just hit the highest ratio in history.

The highest ratio in history is the Gold/XAU ratio, not XAU/Gold as was stated (which is at its lowest). So in relative terms physical gold is more desirable than paper than it ever has been, thus lending creedence to a bottom. The logic is sound, just a misnomer.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:00 pm

68Camaro wrote:But there will always be a bottom in any market. And the forces that manipulate are not all powerful. Eventually the counter forces become unstoppable. Don't discount the analysis in this.

Yes, there is a bottom down there, somewhere. Can we afford to reach it?

This paper silver and gold could be called "fiat PM". "They" can "print" a million paper ounces to the physical ounce, so long as the big money goes along with the fantasy. When will it break, and where?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:55 pm

Mossy wrote:
68Camaro wrote:But there will always be a bottom in any market. And the forces that manipulate are not all powerful. Eventually the counter forces become unstoppable. Don't discount the analysis in this.

Yes, there is a bottom down there, somewhere. Can we afford to reach it?

This paper silver and gold could be called "fiat PM". "They" can "print" a million paper ounces to the physical ounce, so long as the big money goes along with the fantasy. When will it break, and where?

yes... it hurts during times like these to see your stack losing value :cry: , on the other hand, if you have some dry powder you can add a few more ounces during thise discount. :) Overall, I'd like silver to assert itself and run for the stratosphere so my paper plays can recover. :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:34 pm

68Camaro wrote:http://www.321gold.com/editorials/moriarty/moriarty022213.html

Given that we've hit a high in stocks, and we've had the latest PM "crash", I'm thinking the larger overall trouble lies just ahead.

(emphasis mine).

Hang on.

Great call 68Camaro.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions