No more free sun: AZ power utility wants to tax solar

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

No more free sun: AZ power utility wants to tax solar

Postby Z00 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:40 am

No more free sun: Arizona's biggest power utility wants to tax solar

http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-ene ... roved.html

Thogey?
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: No more free sun: AZ power utility wants to tax solar

Postby avidbrandy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:10 am

This has been tried in several places in recent years, but fortunately it's been shot down every time so far.

Yay. took me a bit of digging but I found it again. Read a great article last week about this:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... irrelevant
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Z00 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:37 am

Very interesting article. I have been seriously considering having a complete off grid solar system installed along with a propane powered whole house backup. Since it is a mobile home and an all electric system (including heat) I am going to be looking to eliminate the power company.

1 thing I am uncertain about is the effect that a CME or EMP would have on the panels. I know that the electronics involved would be at risk, but what about the panels themselves?

Something to ponder.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:30 pm

ZOO:

Frankly, regarding the panels themselves I have no idea. However, at one time in his inventing career my father made an EMP/surge suppressor, certified by JPL and purchased by the Canadian govt. for use in their military mobile communications systems. So I know they can be had to protect your sensitive digital electronic equipment.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:36 am

Some states are also considering a mileage tax on electric cars because they are missing out on the gas taxes.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:08 am

Thanks for the article and thread! This is good stuff for me to read.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions