In the Fine Print: President can now extend debt ceiling

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

In the Fine Print: President can now extend debt ceiling

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm appalled, but not surprised... we're now officially screwed. Let the fully out-of-control money printing now begin.

If you read the fine print at the end of the 35 page "Continuing Appropriations Act, 2014" the President now has the abiity to unilaterally extend the debt ceiling, and Congress can then only respond with a vote on a pre-worded canned motion to disapprove, on which it must act within 5 days, with no delays or edits to the motion, limited to 2 hours of debate. If Congress votes to disapprove of the President's action, the President can then veto that bill, after which Congress must then raise a 2/3 vote to override the President in order to prevent a debt ceiling extension.

I suppose Congress could vote to remove the Continuing Appropriations Act itself, which would restore Constitutional authority, but that's not going to happen in this Congress.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: In the Fine Print: President can now extend debt ceiling

Postby theo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Not that I don't believe you, but can you post a link?

I don't think it makes much of difference, anyway. I've long since given up hope of turning things around under the current system. I think the last time it was genuinely possible to gain control of our spending was 2000/2001, although many on this site will argue that our fate was sealed in 1913.

Having said that it is another great example of executive over reach.

Thanks for posting this.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:39 pm

In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:23 pm

No comment? (besides Theo). Thought this would generate some comment; bit maybe I have odd taste in the things that surprise and disgust me.
68Camaro

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:52 pm

68Camaro wrote:No comment? (besides Theo). Thought this would generate some comment; bit maybe I have odd taste in the things that surprise and disgust me.

thanks for posting

i read it, bookmarked it and sent it on to a few others

I think your first post said it all...

68Camaro wrote:I'm appalled, but not surprised... we're now officially screwed. Let the fully out-of-control money printing now begin.

I suppose Congress could vote to remove the Continuing Appropriations Act itself, which would restore Constitutional authority, but that's not going to happen in this Congress.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:28 pm

We all know the ultimate destination... we just don't know all the twists and turns the trail will take that leads us there.

I keep waking up and wondering if something occured overnight, then looking at the screens thinking "will this be the day it all comes apart? Will this be the day gold takes off $300 and Silver $15? Straight vertical ascent on the charts... and the dollar trading at 20?" :shock: :?

it WILL happen :o
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:25 am

Why we all stack! The writing on these walls isn't difficult to read.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:10 pm

I heard something about this the other day, but hadn't seen anything concrete. Thanks for the link. At this point, we are so addicted to debt that I figured something like this would come soon. I was talking to someone the other day who is still in the "we just need to make a few little changes and adjustments and we'll be fine" camp. The more I think about it, the more I think that there is no solution to our current situation. It will crash, it's just a matter of when and how.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:25 am

The last line says it all the continuing resolution act of 2014

:sick: Oh So Happy :thumbdown:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby cupronickel » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I've been talking about this for a week or so, and not a single person seems to care.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:36 pm

I posted this on my FB page. Only one person agreed with me. We lost a HUGE chunk of Liberty. We lost our "checks and balances" system. Congress just made itself irrelevant.

The Old Guard Republicans sold us out. They are just as bad as the Demos. The TEA Party tried, but failed.

That roller coaster we are riding on just went over a hump and picked up a lot more speed. Like the posts said before this one ~~~ we all know the final destination.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:35 am

King Obama can do whatever he wants. Nothing surprises me anymore. I wouldn't even be surprised if the fine print dissolved the 22nd Amendment.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions