GDP growth - don't be fooled by the media

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

GDP growth - don't be fooled by the media

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Folks, use your heads on this one. When the government pats itself on the back for GDP growing 4%, but overall inflation is at least 6-8% when correctly calculated, what is the REAL growth? (Hint - it starts with a minus sign.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: GDP growth - don't be fooled by the media

Postby beauanderos » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:56 pm

68Camaro wrote:Folks, use your heads on this one. When the government pats itself on the back for GDP growing 4%, but overall inflation is at least 6-8% when correctly calculated, what is the REAL growth? (Hint - it starts with a minus sign.)

I'm sure the media would never unintentionally mislead us. You must be one of those conspiracy theorists. :o :shock:

Of course they would intentionally mislead us :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Math is working out to not be the regular USA citizen's forte. I am not one to talk, but I see the cost of things are going up and know you have to do something other than just trust the official numbers. I think the stats put out are there to appease the general public. Remember, the government and big business have done some real whoppers of faux pas and they still go on and the public forgets. But quietly, banks still rake in the money.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:57 pm

If you believe government statistics, you are probably too stupid to vote.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:15 pm

The feds now calculate inflation without adding in the cost of food and fuel "because they are too volatile". Har, har, har.

Volatile like "going up in flames", maybe.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:00 pm

I wondered that also when I saw that the growth rate for the 3rd quarter which was initially quoted at 3.6% and then revised to 4.1%.
Didn't long ago, the rates were "adjusted for inflation"?

Another "fact" that is suspect is new automobile sales. I would say most lease a car rather than buy it. Also, many car lots here are desperate for decent used cars, so I suspect more used cars are sold than new cars.

I also do not believe the unemployment rates can change so dramatically when they claim that 100,000 jobs were created in a month. With millions of people out of work or under-employed, I don't think 100,000 jobs created minus the continued job loss can swing the unemployment rate to that degree.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Fooled how?, I have not had a raise in 6 years but I still made it through another year. Not only that, I get more silver and gold for my FRN now. Sure, it's bogus growth, but it's growth. And, when the economy goes boom, like it always does, that's where the little guy gets decimated, so just be prepared with your investments when the time comes.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Saabman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:23 am

"Those that don't read the news are uninformed.......those that do, are misinformed."

- Mark Twain
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions