The Fed Is Playing Global Pump-and-Dump.

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

The Fed Is Playing Global Pump-and-Dump.

Postby theo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:32 am

Here is another Gonzalo Lira article which is even scarier than the one I posted a few weeks ago. I've accepted the idea of the stock market being a ponzi scheme for a couple years now, but the implications of this assertion simply floor me. It means the potential destruction of our financial system where even cash positions in investment accounts are unsafe. Imagine if every bank and brokerage house went the way of MF Global. After all there is no way to tell what derivative contracts they might wrapped up in.

http://gonzalolira.blogspot.com/2014/01 ... -dump.html

But even if you don’t buy that QE and ZIRP will lead to a dollar collapse, you do have to admit that these Fed policies have severely brainwashed investors.

Why ‘brainwashed’? Because today, due to the Fed’s policies, stock prices are booming—we’re about to crack 16,500 on the Dow Jones, NASDAQ is well on its way to 4,200, and the S&P is close to 1,850—all record highs.

What’s wrong with record highs? What’s wrong with booming stock prices? Absolutely nothing—unless you look at the two-year charts and realize that these three indices are not reflecting a robust, booming economy. Rather, they have had unrelenting climbs that have been openly—and exclusively—caused by QE and ZIRP.

Which has brainwashed investors into dismissing value. Today, all investors are momentum-chasing pump-and-dumpers who are not worrying about fundamentals, or worrying about the long-term health and well-being of a company.. . .

Why is this happening? Easy, because of the Fed’s QE and ZIRP have so flattened the yield curve across Treasuries and the rest of the bond markets, that anything yielding better than 5%—in any asset class, not just bonds—quickly gets priced up. . .

Since nothing yields a healthy 6% or better, the only thing investors care about today is whether the price of the asset they “invest in” will rise within the year—so that they can sell it at a profit.

That’s not investing—that’s speculating.

By the way, unrelenting asset price inflation was the whole point of the Federal Reserve’s policies. Yeah, I know I went overboard with the combined bold-italics-underlined thing, but I just wanted to emphasize that point, and one other:

The Federal Reserve is the boiler room operation that has pumped up the equities market by way of QE and ZIRP. You are investing in a pump-and-dump scam. And like in all such scams, you will lose.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions