What the FCC decision means for cable cord cutters

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

What the FCC decision means for cable cord cutters

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:01 am

You know, I'm seeing the day when either 1, I cut the internet feed and live off of my cell phone only or 2, just get rid of all of it all together and go to the library. The $$ I pay out month after month for this gets me more hacked off as the years go by. Heck, I only do Internet and cell phone now and I feel the cost is WAY too high as it is.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/what-f ... beforebell

Throughput charging is coming.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: What the FCC decision means for cable cord cutters

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:41 am

Reddirt:

Thanks for the post. I feel ya. We only do internet and cell. Luckily, the wife and I both have jobs that require the business to provide cell. Also the second they increase the price of the internet it's local libraries for my family. Sometimes the technology just isn't worth having.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Trac phone, about $20. Double minutes for life of phone, about $40. One year and 400 minutes (800 with the double), $100. Short text 0.3 minutes. Allows voice mail.

The newer ones have internet capability that I've never used.

Downsides: Phone is fragile. I bought two and used the other for parts after breaking the first, also for the extra power supply (after market costs more than the phone). The SIM card cannot (easily?) be transfered between phones.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Despite Verizon hosing me on the data limits, I'm saving money overall.

Ditched the land line years ago; cable tv 4 years now (love the high def antennae); desktop and internet 3 years ago.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mongo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Straightalk from Wal-Mart, 45.00 a month unlimited talk text and data.It uses the Verison networks. My daughter is in the process of wearing out their servers. She does get her moneys worth.
Regards
Mongo
mongo
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions