Prediction: Swiss to Vote on Gold Repatriation

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Prediction: Swiss to Vote on Gold Repatriation

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:02 am

On 30 Nov, the Swiss will vote on the issue of gold repatriation.

I was thinking that PMs could run up in price beforehand, because part of that referendum requires the Swiss national bank to increase the country's gold holdings. The Boyz would naturally manipulate the price upwards, to wring more dollars out of these purchases. So I began researching the issue.

Some media articles are already priming the pump on the outcome of the vote, by saying polls indicate its a close call. Yea or Nay are purported to be not wide enough apart to predict the vote.

MY PREDICTION: The vote will fail to pass. I base this solely on the media saying it is a close race, and the entrenched interests being against it.

When a vote is "too close to call" the Powers That Be will steal the election, because it is easy to do. A split vote at 60/40, or 65/35 in the polls, is much harder to steal than a 45/55 or closer decision.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Prediction: Swiss to Vote on Gold Repatriation

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:54 pm

When you mention repatriation do you mean that Switzerland is trying to get their gold back from the U.S. and other places where it is stored overseas? Or are you talking about taking gold back from their own citizens (like what the U.S. did during the 1930's)?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:47 am

Recyclersteve wrote:When you mention repatriation do you mean that Switzerland is trying to get their gold back from the U.S. and other places where it is stored overseas? Or are you talking about taking gold back from their own citizens (like what the U.S. did during the 1930's)?

If passed it requires Swiss gold stored outside of Switzerland to be returned for storage in-country.

It will also require the Swiss national bank to maintain 20% of its reserves as gold. That means it will go on a gold buying spree.

I think it will not pass.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:02 am

I think you are right, I hope you are wrong.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Flintlock » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:00 am

I don't believe it will pass either, but it is still cool that a country is considering it...
Flintlock

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions