State bankruptcy bill imminent, Gingrich says

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

State bankruptcy bill imminent, Gingrich says

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:53 pm

Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: State bankruptcy bill imminent, Gingrich says

Postby Country » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:12 pm

I didn't think this was Constitutional, as states are sovereign entities. However, the problem is and has been that state workers retire too early, many retire before 55 with lifetime benefits of a large portion of their salary. The solution would be to extend the retirement age and reduce the benefits.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: State bankruptcy bill imminent, Gingrich says

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Country wrote:I didn't think this was Constitutional, as states are sovereign entities. However, the problem is and has been that state workers retire too early, many retire before 55 with lifetime benefits of a large portion of their salary. The solution would be to extend the retirement age and reduce the benefits.

That makes sense. Then again, you gotta remember we are talking about the government! :P

It appears the plan right now is to inflate away all their troubles with FRN monopoly money. If you are entitled to a $2,000/mo. pension and they print so much money it takes $4,000 just to buy food, they are happy about it.

Edit: Even if they did get to file bankruptcy, the Demos want to still give them money. How would that be any different? Either way, the US taxpayers are the ones who will get screwed. The Repubs control the House. They appropriate the funding. Just refuse to fund any state bailouts, if that is what they want. No other legislation is needed.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions