How low can oil go?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

How low can oil go?

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:23 pm

Down below 43, price is at a 6-year low and still dropping like a rock. And all the major petro pumpers are cash poor and pumping like crazy to generate cash flow even with inventories at record highs.

You are now I imagine experiencing about the same level of denial in the msm regarding our economic health as I'm sure existed in the prewar late 1930s about Germany and Japan.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: How low can oil go?

Postby messymessy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:29 pm

Isn't this a fairly common OPEC strategy to discourage oil development in other areas? Other than Russia, it's likely unrelated to the economy.

Oil prices get high. Other sources of oil are developed. OPEC overproduces and drives competitors out of business.

Just a guess, but if I remember right, oil from Canadian tar sands cost $60 a barrel to produce. Eventually, at $43 a barrel, they will cease production. Then OPEC is free to restrict supply again. Seems like this cycle has occurred twice in the last 40 years.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Below $41 today.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby fasteddy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:57 pm

looks like it will be in the 30's soon...might even hit $30 soon.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby rsk1963 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:24 am

wouldn't be surprised to see it at 37-38 before long... after that... only the TPTB knows
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:46 am

The last time crude oil was this price I was able to buy gas for $1.69 now the price is $2.69 WHY?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:16 am

NDFarmer wrote:The last time crude oil was this price I was able to buy gas for $1.69 now the price is $2.69 WHY?

EPA, IRS, OSHA, NOAA, AFL-CIO, BHO.......These and more make it more expensive to produce gasoline each year.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby nero12345 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:36 pm

messymessy wrote:Isn't this a fairly common OPEC strategy to discourage oil development in other areas? Other than Russia, it's likely unrelated to the economy.

Oil prices get high. Other sources of oil are developed. OPEC overproduces and drives competitors out of business.

Just a guess, but if I remember right, oil from Canadian tar sands cost $60 a barrel to produce. Eventually, at $43 a barrel, they will cease production. Then OPEC is free to restrict supply again. Seems like this cycle has occurred twice in the last 40 years.

I work in the oil patch in Alberta Canada, depending on which plant you go to it ranges from $28-40 a barrel to pull it out of the ground. That being said they can earn some additional money from gases/liquids generated by the processing but they are pinching pennies now expecting this to last awhile and even considering the possibility of lower pricing for multiple years. She's tough, but we kind of thought it wouldn't all go down easy.
Also we must all keep in mind, oil and gas are two different things. The price of gas can easily go much higher as the refineries are probably maxed out for output regardless of how much oil is available to process and at whatever price. And that's the thing to keep in mind as well, the Saudis oil comes out so pure that the refining process is so easy that their price out of the ground is likely under $10 a barrel(that's a guess, I have no idea what it costs) so they can out live a lot more expensive plants and potentially buy some of these places at lower prices.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:53 pm

It touched the 39s today before going back up. Still trending down, down, down...
68Camaro

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:16 pm

NHsorter wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:The last time crude oil was this price I was able to buy gas for $1.69 now the price is $2.69 WHY?

EPA, IRS, OSHA, NOAA, AFL-CIO, BHO.......These and more make it more expensive to produce gasoline each year.

But this was just six months ago. In February I bought gas for $1.69 and crude oil was higher priced then.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:21 am

NDFarmer wrote:
NHsorter wrote:

EPA, OSHA, NOAA, AFL-CIO, BHO.......These and more make it more expensive to produce gasoline each year.

But this was just six months ago. In February I bought gas for $1.69 and crude oil was higher priced then.

Maybe the oil companies are already factoring in future regulations, restrictions? Also, I know crude and refined products don't always exactly track in lock step. Another factor in my state is the gas state. Earlier this year, we paid 55.9 cents a gal. combined state (37.5) and federal (18.4) taxes. The state increased its share by 7 cents this summer making it 62.9 total. Next summer we're getting hit with another 4.9 taking it to 67.8 cents total tax per gallon.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:19 pm

But the state does so much for their 68 cents... No..wait..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bankmining » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:10 pm

Well, they do send state officials out-of-state and out-of-country for climate change meetings/seminars :roll:
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions