Must read? - The beast of the Epocalyse, the death of money

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Must read? - The beast of the Epocalyse, the death of money

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:44 am

Posted on coinflation but not yet commented on here as best as I can tell, these thoughts mirror a lot of those shared in various threads here, but is put together professional.

http://www.safehaven.com/article/40227/ ... epocalypse

... When hitting the zero bound failed to lift economies that crashed in the Great Recession, some central banks moved to force negative interest rates on people who save their money in banks.

Charging people to keep their money in the bank is hard to do so long as cash is available, as people may just withdraw all of their money from those banks in the form of the national cash and squirrel the cash away. In order to penetrate the twilight zone of economics, central banks need to abolish cash to terminate this escape route. Then they can force savers to spend, thereby increasing the flow of money through the economy, by raising the cost of holding money in a bank account as high as it takes to get people to spend their money. No sense letting perfectly good money waste away in an expensive bank account.

Transitioning into a cashless society is the ultimate central planner's dream as it gives central banks total control over money, and money is their proprietary product. ...

I know parts of Atlas Shrugged are a slog (at least in my view) but when you get into it is eye-opening (ignoring the soap opera romance and Utopian conclusion) that Ayn Rand predicted those trends in the midst of the 1950s. While she doesn't include this specific event, it's completely consistent with her book and if she had known of the technology changes coming I'm sure she would have included it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Must read? - The beast of the Epocalyse, the death of mo

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:15 am

no more emergency fund for me... I don't want to be one of the bad guys. Oh... and... I also had a boating accident. :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Must read? - The beast of the Epocalyse, the death of mo

Postby agmoose » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:48 pm

I think they'll miss the mark on 2018 as predicted 30 yrs ago, but it doesn't seem far off at all. Perhaps within 10 yrs, I could see a real push towards this. Then again, if the crash is big enough, deep enough and quick enough, it could happen in a matter of months as our caring world leaders join together to gobble up power and save all of us poor souls.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions