Shark Bite Plumbing Connectors.HELL YEA!

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Shark Bite Plumbing Connectors.HELL YEA!

Postby Thogey » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Is anyone using this? I knew they had shark bite for PEX, but, today I did a 3/4 inch copper job that I was DREADING!.

Sterling helped a ton. He dug a hole about 18 inches wide and about 30 inches deep through caliche and roots.

OK so now you have a hole the narrow and deep. I had to cut out a section of copper pipe with 2 old valves and replace it with one frost free hydrant with drain.

Have you ever soldered a short piece of (old corroded copper) at the bottom of 18 x 30 INCH hole? I was dreading it :evil: . I did not want to dig a bigger hole.

A cramped shitty work area.

These Shark bite connectors are set for copper now. They make a baad ass slip fit for copper.

I'm looking to invest because this is the end of soldering copper plumbing.

A f-ing AWESOME product! Am I late to this? :oops:
Last edited by Thogey on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Shark Bite Plumbing Connectors.HELL YEA!

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:22 pm

I agree, they are awesome. Had a bunch in for 8 years now, and no problems. Almost trust them fully at this point.
Last edited by NHsorter on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Kurr » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:54 pm

I love me some sharkbite!
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:03 pm

I've used a few. I know for certain that they were available in 2009. I think I used a couple in a 2007 project but can't remember for sure. They work for PEX, CPVC, and hard copper, which all have the same OD. Pricey, but a big labor saver, particularly in tight spots where soldering or crimping is a pain. Perfect for what you are describing. Or when you can't get the water totally off, since they can go on wet. I wouldn't plumb an entire house with them since they are 5+ times the cost, but they make a lot of sense in certain situations.

I've heard that some codes still do not allow them underground or behind drywall (not that I'd be too concerned about that working on my own stuff). I've also heard tales of them blowing off, but I'd venture a guess that has more to do with incorrect installation than the product. Or maybe a knock-off brand. I think the main concern is chlorinated water degrading the o-rings over time. If you use a lot of push-type fittings with o-rings and have chlorinated water it might be worth installing a 4.5" x 10" filter housing where the water comes in the house and throwing a carbon block in there to knock the chlorine level down.
natsb88

Postby Treetop » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:26 am

Interesting everyone mentions they are good for limited space. Ive used it before and didnt have any give in the pipe so couldnt get it to seat properly. I ended up having to use the standard types of glued fittings for that spot. A plumber I had working on a project that needed the water turned off at the main told me if I used it I should check the pipe every now and then because according to him some percentage of them will hold forever and some will leak or fail over time. Not sure if he was biased, or just saw people install improperly or what, but that was his opinion. Or maybe he just didnt like the idea of how easy they are to do since it is presumably cutting into how much work he can get. The ones I used never leaked at my old house.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AdamsSamoa » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:29 am

Never had a problem.... they have been around for years though....
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:02 am

I don't do plumbing. Or I should say I avoid it like the plague. I find working under my kitchen sink about the worst thing I can imagine or have done in my life. I've done worse but my mind doesn't let me remember the details and I won't post the activity here. First I've heard of Shark Bite is from your post. If I'm lucky I'll never have the opportunity to have to use them the rest of my life.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:04 pm

They are nice, but i do womder the longevity of them, i know they have been around a while. The only time anyone should have a problem soldering is when water is in the pipe.. other than that it goes easy
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:43 am

daviscfad wrote:They are nice, but i do womder the longevity of them, i know they have been around a while. The only time anyone should have a problem soldering is when water is in the pipe.. other than that it goes easy

My problem was not water, it was at the bottom of a deep narrow hole. Past my elbows. It's hard to keep the flame lit, because it burns the oxygen out of the air in the hole.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions